Author Topic: priming the keel  (Read 1423 times)

tckearney

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B42
  • Boat Year: 2000
priming the keel
« on: October 09 2020, 21:40 »
Hi all,  I have just scraped the keel down to virtually bare metal.   It is looking good with little corrosion.  Now it is time to prime and coat .   Three years ago I used a two part epoxy primer followed by Hamertie smooth metal primer then the anti foul.   It was all fine when in the water but once lifted out and as it dried out it just flaked off.  Anyway now ready top start again so what’s the best primer/coating before antfouling.  I do not intend to lift out again next year. 

Bavaria 34

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: priming the keel
« Reply #1 on: October 09 2020, 22:19 »
Fertan rust treatment followed by 5 coats of Primocon has progressively stopped my keel rusting to the point that this year there were so few rust spots I didn't bother.

Boat has been in the water for the last 10 years years less weekend haul outs which may help.

Or not  :kewl

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: October 09 2020, 22:39 »
Not worth using epoxy unless you blast it and apply the epoxy immediately. So Fertan on the rust spots if any then a conventional primer. Jotun Vynigaurd available on line from SML Marine Paints is much more economical than Primocon and just as good, then antifoul of your choice.

tckearney

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B42
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #3 on: October 10 2020, 09:38 »
Thanks guys will order the Jotun primer as Im using Jotun antifoul