Author Topic: Ocean 38 cockpit seats are always wet  (Read 1399 times)

Jeffatoms

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Ocean 38
  • Boat Year: 1998
Ocean 38 cockpit seats are always wet
« on: October 04 2020, 04:04 »
I'm curious if it's just us or do other Ocean series boats have cockpit seats that catch water rather than draining it.  We have a 1998 Ocean 38 and the two side cockpit seats appear to be the original strip teak over thin plywood.  The plywood is no longer glued down and water pools all around, refusing to find its way out the side drains that feed through the coaming.  They are becoming not only visually unattractive but are starting to smell due to the pooling, stagnant rain water.  We are wondering how others have dealt with this???

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Ocean 38 cockpit seats are always wet
« Reply #1 on: October 04 2020, 15:02 »
On our 2001 40 Ocean the teak in the cockpit is still mostly good, apart from a corner that had started lifting, which I glued back down with some adhesive sealant.

The teak on the deck is fucked though. The caulking melted in the sun and turned permanently goopy in patches, so I had to strip it all out. In the process, I noticed many spots where the wood was also dying, either detaching from the hull, splintering, or in the bow area simply worn too thin in many places to bother fixing it up anymore.

So it's time to remove the silly stuff. In the cockpit we can keep it either going for a couple more years, or rip it out too. The cockpit seating I would probably re-cover with EVA foam, as I find the soft foam quite pleasant to sit/kneel on and it's sturdy enough for cockpit use. For the deck probably not, I think I'll put some non-skid paint there.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Jeffatoms

• Able Seaman
« Reply #2 on: October 04 2020, 20:11 »
Yes, ours is two years older and our deck is done-done. There are many spots that turn to mini-guysers when we step on them following a rain.  We are so thankful for glue over screws on the deck - dumb luck is OK.  If it gets much worse over the winter, as in a safety issue, I'll resort to a roof shingle (flat spade) remover, eliminate it and wait out warmer weather for a long-term fix that doesnt involve wood.

Neither has prevented our use of the boat. Photo 2 is just now, having been socked in the fog for the weekend.  Photo 1 I just took of the rear kingboard.  It crumbled when I touched it to take the photo.

But back to the topic of the cockpit seats, our seating is not far from this deck fate.  It lifts off freely.  Maybe we will peel it back, and fill the former decked area with micro balloon thickened epoxy to try to get the drains wore effectively more effectively and then in the spring have some nice cushions made to hide my epoxy work.

Jam

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #3 on: October 04 2020, 21:21 »
Hi water tends to collect on the port side of our cockpit (Bavaria ocean 38) at the back of the seating area, for some reason drains better on the starboard side. The drain hole I think is in a weird place and need unblocking frequently....another unusual design being a slightly raised cockpit drain.....eh, why?
 Same issues: teak seating has popped up in areas so will try and stick it down again if I can clean out the best I can.  May try CT1 that I found good for the hull deck joint/rubbing strake.......wasn't a fun job that one.  Also my deck is shot too, have already cut bits out that were raised and stuck back down but have noticed others bits this year, but now in Scotland weather is not great so that will need to wait until next year. Will repair as long as I can't but can't afford the permateak option of getting a guy to remove and fit so will be the DIY option of some kind.
John

Jeffatoms

• Able Seaman
« Reply #4 on: October 07 2020, 05:52 »
That is what we experience too.  It is wetter more often to port than on the starboard seat.