Author Topic: Bavaria 40 2013 stays tensioners fraction / cracks - what to do?  (Read 1399 times)

Mtau

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Cruiser 40
  • Boat Year: 2013
I sail a Bavaria 2013 40" Cruiser here in Brazil. The boat is amazing.

I had never reviw the tension on the Stays and whist asking for a technitian to check it, he pointed out some cracks in the tensioners.

My questions are:

. What should I do?
. Are these negligeble?
. Shouls I start o monitor it every month and take a decision later?
. Can I change only the bolts? Please note I leave in Brazil and to get these parts here is a nigthmare.

See photos attached.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
If you want an expert opinion, post these pictures and question in the PBO section of the YBW forums: https://forums.ybw.com/index.php?forums/practical-boat-owners-reader-to-reader.13/

You'll probably attract Vyv Cox's attention, a sailing metallurgist.

In my non-expert opinion, the heads look forged and these stress cracks probably aren't critical yet, but may become so.

Personally I'd replace them for peace of mind. At least keep a close eye on them and if the cracks grow, replace with urgency.

How old is the rig? It's non-metric, which is odd for a Bavaria, has it been replaced before? These heads aren't a very good design. Sta-Lok uses threaded barrel heads instead:

Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Baddox

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
It’s breaking, costs little to replace and could be catastrophic if it fails.  I’d replace it and check all the other fittings.

The articulated version posted above looks much better, if you can find one long enough to fit.

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
  • Boat Year: 2009
Agree with Yngmar, they are probably forging cracks and not an issue yet! You mention it is on a 2013 40' Cruiser, so I presume that the rig is only 7 years old. How often is the boat sailed and what sort of conditions is she generally sailed in?
Cheers
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009