Author Topic: Replace lewmar hatch acrylics  (Read 1665 times)

filban

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2002
Replace lewmar hatch acrylics
« on: September 20 2020, 20:08 »
Bav 32. 2002

Having replace all my port light acrylics I managed to remove one hatch but could not get the outer frames to separate. I am reluctant to use too much force. I have read re  the use of blocks of wood in this section but would appreciate some amplification of this process.

I hope they haven’t been bonded together with some sealant to prevent leaks in the past(they don’t leak )

Also having wire brushed the worst of the corrosion off the stainless machine screws what solution can I leave them in to clean them up ?

Thanks

Brian

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2004
Re: Replace lewmar hatch acrylics
« Reply #1 on: September 24 2020, 08:16 »
I ended up drilling out the stainless screws the first time I did this, and then re tapped the holes.  The second time I replaced a hatch I bought a complete hatch with frame, a far easier solution but more expensive. 

filban

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Replace lewmar hatch acrylics
« Reply #2 on: September 24 2020, 16:39 »
thanks for your reply

I spoke to Ocean chandlery who supplied the replacement acrylics and they suggested heat ,maybe boiling water on the ali frame where the join is

apparently some frames part easily ,some do not.they thought bavaria when originally fitting the hatches put anti corrosive grease on the joins  and if they put too much on then this makes the joins harder to separate much later on

I used  a combination of drilling out or carefully cutting a new slot in the screws ; the screws in the hatches were much more corroded than the port lights

I may end up buying a new hatch with frame and sending back the acrylics and seals

Ocean have been very helpful