Author Topic: Bavaria 38 ocean drip in main cabin  (Read 1408 times)

Jam

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2000
Bavaria 38 ocean drip in main cabin
« on: September 20 2020, 17:17 »
Hi
Have resealed small hatch in main cabin and larger hatch in forecabin but still seem to have a drip which I can see looking forward through between the roof liner, this appears in the main cabin and runs along the bulkhead near the roof on the white sealer between the roof and bulkhead.Water tends to collect in both hatch grooves when I am out the water as bow is up slightly to drain cockpit. I used sikaflex 291i. I am now thinking this could just be condensation collected as there seems to be a few drips in other areas plus I am in Scotland and this is the time of year we see condensation in all boats to a degree.
I have been resealing everything I can hull/deck joint all done, small holes in deck under caulking as per yngmars thread, 2 forward hatches and all freshwater pipes/spigots in forward storage locker, haven’t sealed that hatch yet but may do this as well plus a few forward stantions
Any ideas and has anyone had a leak here or could this be nothing more than condensations.
Thanks

Clivert

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Bavaria 38 ocean drip in main cabin
« Reply #1 on: September 21 2020, 18:02 »
I tried to fix my hatches with 291 , but I googled sikaflex and discovered that I should have using 295i UV after priming with 209n ( check with sika to check primer for perspex to metal )
Good luck

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: September 21 2020, 20:33 »
That sounds like typical condensation. Two grooves implies Gebo hatches, and the frames are aluminium, so conduct heat well, which means they're prone to condensation if it's moist inside the boat and cool outside.

If you're not normally opening the hatches, you can effectively "double glaze" the hatches for winter by spanning some clingfilm over the inner frame (gotta tape it up first or it won't stick), which vastly reduces the problem.

In port we'd use a dehumidifier to remove air moisture from inside, although if it's very cold outside you still get condensation on the hatch frames due to the temperature difference. The clingfilm or any other insulation stops that.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Jam

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #3 on: September 22 2020, 15:49 »
Hi
Thanks for info, been working hard and using time that I have due to covid and boat out of water to fix everything leaky....its been hard going but getting there, I had all the holes in the same place as your diagram yngmar so thanks for that as it helped a lot!!  This wee drip has been annoying as thought I had failed to seal hatch well, I used 291i as these 2 hatches seems not to drain well outside around and there is a puddle in the groove where the hatch is screwed down... I know 291i can be used under water....as the edge of this hatch seems to be under water due to nose up position of boat in yard.  Think I may cover them if possible over winter to prevent this happening if I can.
I will start the dehumidifier up again and try the cling film as you suggested yngmar
Cheers
John