Author Topic: B39-2006 New Genoa- cut doesn’t seem right?  (Read 2409 times)

Lazy Pelican

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2006
B39-2006 New Genoa- cut doesn’t seem right?
« on: September 20 2020, 12:04 »
Hi,

We’ve just bought a new 135% Genoa for our B39 2006. It’s very high cut (see attached photo Maggie is 1.7m), probably 1m higher than our old 150% sail. It’s so high we have full visibility forward and From the cockpit can barely see the Genoa under the boom
The foot is as long as our original 150% Genoa, but the leach is much shorter, meaning the Clew is very high. With the cars fully back the sheet bisects the sail at a very acute angle & bisects the Luff 30-40% from the top.
The sail was made in UK and we’re in Greece, so getting the sailmaker to visit isn’t really an option.
I’d appreciate thoughts particularly from anyone who has a similar boat with a 135% Genoa? Even better would be if someone could with a B39 could measure the Foot length on their 135% Genoa?

Ziffius

• Old Salt
  • Boat Year: 2005
Re: B39-2006 New Genoa- cut doesn’t seem right?
« Reply #1 on: September 21 2020, 14:24 »
Hi john. Was going to Reply to your message but something went wrong. Trying to do it on phone not easy. I am out on the boat for first of October but I still have the original Genoa, will check if it is 150% mine is certainly much lower, can’t see under it!!

Lazy Pelican

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: September 21 2020, 15:09 »
Hi Pete,

If yours is the original Elvstrom Genoa then it’s almost certainly 150%- that’s what I replaced.
I was hoping to find someone who’d replaced theirs so I can make a comparison.
Thanks anyway.

John

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: September 21 2020, 18:12 »
As I understand it, reducing the area is achieved by reducing the overlap - that is shortening the foot and taking the area out of the leech. Similar to about 2 rolls of the original sail, rather than raising the clew. What does the sailmaker say?

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #4 on: September 22 2020, 08:09 »
Looks more like a yankee cut sail than more modern genoa. The cut of the sail seems to indicate it is designed for stronger wind conditions.

Before doing anything, I suggest you fix on some tell tales and take it out for a sail in various wind conditions.

See if you can get all the tell tales working properly over a range of wind speeds ( 5kn true up to reefing conditions, propbably up to about 20kn true given the smaller sail area.) Do the test close hauled to just below reaching. See if you have enough adjustment in the cars to properly trim the sail.

Given the smaller sail area, see how it handles compared with the larger Genoa. See if it tends to round up any differently.

I have a Bav 38 ( 2009) with a similar sail plan and find the larger genoa well suited to the boat. Elvstrom tend to get the sails right.

If adjustment of the cars is not sufficient then it is definitely back to the sailmakers.

aig
"Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia

Rampage

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #5 on: September 22 2020, 21:38 »
The sail looks very much like the one made for me by Crusader a few years back.  The shorter leech and therefore higher clew didn’t impact on the performance of the boat, although that may be a product of a shot old sail.  I’ve not had any problems with sheeting angles with the adjustment available to me. The higher clew does make tacking easier to manage as the foot is well clear of the deck.  The sail is a 140% genoa on a 38 from 2000.

Ziffius

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: October 01 2020, 08:43 »
Hi Pete,

If yours is the original Elvstrom Genoa then it’s almost certainly 150%- that’s what I replaced.
I was hoping to find someone who’d replaced theirs so I can make a comparison.
Thanks anyway.

John

On my boat and it is a 135% Genoa from new pic attached

Lazy Pelican

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: October 01 2020, 13:42 »
Pete,

That’s interesting. Our Main is the same as yours. I assumed the Genoa was 150%, but the label is missing from the sail bag, so it may not be.
If you could measure the foot length of your Genoa that would be useful.
I’m having discussions with the sailmaker who thinks the new Genoa is correct. I’m still getting used to it but the boat does appear to sail significantly faster, but it’s early days.
I still have reservations.

Ziffius

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: October 05 2020, 16:33 »
Unfortunately I was in the process of removing sails for the winter and they were carted off to the sailmaker. I just measured an approximate foot from that photo and it would be about 5.5m at least but don’t quote me