Author Topic: Fitting 2 holding tanks in a BV 44 2003  (Read 1743 times)

elias

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2003
Fitting 2 holding tanks in a BV 44 2003
« on: September 07 2020, 13:03 »
Hi there ,
I am thinking of changing the current holding tank that is located to the stern WC and put in both 2 WC , a 30liter tank to each , in the closet back of the bowl . Has anybody tried something similar ? The bot is moving every day so small capacity is not. A problem

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Fitting 2 holding tanks in a BV 44 2003
« Reply #1 on: September 07 2020, 17:26 »
Does your current tank take from both toilets, or just the aft? Is it gravity or pumped? Why do you want to remove it rather than leave it for the aft toilet and just add a gravity tank in the forward.

You can get a tank in the locker - I fitted a 45l one in my 37, but it will need to be custom made. Best to make a mock up in light ply or chipboard to find out what you can get in through the locker opening. To get maximum capacity my tank had a bottom entry with an internal stack pipe.

elias

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: September 08 2020, 06:25 »
Just he aft is connected and is higher than the sea level . Is quite big and I want to replace it with the minimum volume so I can use the space for storage. Do you think 2*  30liters for one day will be enough for 8 persons ? Are there any solutions to electronically empty the tanks , like electric valves ?

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: September 08 2020, 10:50 »
Depends on how much they use the toilet and the amount of water they pump through after each flush (one use takes between 3-5l of water). If used for just overnight and not used for solids then it might be OK. Whether you reduce holding tank capacity to increase storage depends on your priorities, but if I had 8 people on board regularly and anchoring overnight then I would want maximum holding tank capacity. On the other hand if spending nights moored up at a quay or marina and using shoreside facilities then usage is less -, perhaps just for daytime stops and liquid only. How about monitoring your usage with the existing tank to see how often you fill it. Just as a rule of thumb, a 60l tank such as now fitted to new boats (and probably the capacity of your current tank) is considered adequate for a couple for up to 3 days.

Your current tank is a gravity tank, the simplest and least trouble to use. Why make it more complicated? The only thing you need to do is shut the outlet seacock when you want to use it as a holding tank and open it at sea to empty it.

elias

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: September 08 2020, 22:31 »
Thanks a lot I will follow that !