Author Topic: Replacement autopilot  (Read 2319 times)

Akechag

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 41
  • Boat Year: 2003
Replacement autopilot
« on: September 05 2020, 21:06 »
Hi all
I am new to the forum. I have a 2003 bavaria  41, (was) fitted with an st3000 helm auto pilot since production. It Proved to be too light to cope with conditions in Aegean. So I am looking for a replacement auto pilot.
Any ideas and recommendations are welcome

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Replacement autopilot
« Reply #1 on: September 05 2020, 22:42 »
The easiest autopilot to fit is the Raymarine EV 200 with linear drive to the steering quadrant. The hardware, that is control head, sensor, control box and drive retail for just under £3k - less at some mail order outlets. The electronics and controls are relatively easy to install, but the drive needs a firm mounting point constructed and either a steering arm on the rudder shaft or an attachment to the quadrant. Raymarine are well represented in Greece if you are thinking of a professional installation. Garmin and B&G offer similar pilots at similar costs, but for aftermarket installations, Raymarine seem to be the most popular.. They were fitted exclusively to Bavarias as original equipment until about 2014 so dealers are very familiar with them.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: September 05 2020, 22:48 »
The ST3000 is a Wheelpilot and the manufacturer clearly states it is only for boats up to 7 tons displacement. Definitely undersized and should never have been fitted on that boat.

Wheelpilots in general are for smaller boats and less serious conditions. For bashing around in the Meltemi, you definitely want something that's installed under deck and has a gyroscope. Raymarine, B&G and Furuno all have current generation kits that consist of all the parts you need.

For example: https://www.svb24.com/en/raymarine-autopilot-evolution-ev-200-linear-package.html
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: September 05 2020, 23:37 »
The ST 3000 was commonly fitted to charter boats in Greece in the early 2000's as it was cheap (about 20% of the cost of a below decks pilot!) and reliable. Adequate for use under motor in lighter conditions even on a 41'. I had one on my 37 while it was out on charter and it was trouble free for 6 years. I replaced it with an ST 4000 which was hopeless, then an SP which was even worse. Nothing wrong with the electronics, but the wheel drive was not up to any load. Raymarine supplied 3 replacements, but don't know how long the last one survived as I sold the boat.

Current boat has a Garmin which is OK except the drive is very noisy, partly because the rudder stock is immediately below the helm position.

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #4 on: September 06 2020, 12:18 »
Replaced my Raymarine Autopilot recently and went to the ACU400. The unladen displacement is around 8.5 tonne (2009 B40 Cruiser), but need to allow for fuel, water, people and gear so working displacement is probably closer to 9.5 tonne.

Cheers
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #5 on: September 07 2020, 14:45 »
I replaced my wheel autopilot with an under deck linear drive and kept the controller/driver, however this was an ST4000+, which is suitable for liner drive control and my boat is smaller and required the type 1 drive which can be handled by the ST4000 power electronics.
Not sure if it will be of any help, but this is the link for my replacement - http://www.sylyra.com/linear_drive_installation_e.php
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

geoff

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: 40 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #6 on: September 07 2020, 14:53 »
I have for sale a raymarine 100 series controller suitable for type 1 motors [rotary or linear ] .It is quite old but fully functional £ 50 Geoff

Akechag

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 41
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #7 on: September 09 2020, 13:05 »
Thank you all for your inputs.
I am still learning but I think I should go for a Raymarine.  The displays on my boat are from an ST4000 system, so now I have to check if any of them can be used with a newer system. I still investigate if I can acquire individual modules of the system or if I must go for a complete system.