Author Topic: Replacement Stove  (Read 29183 times)

Lazy Pelican

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2006
Replacement Stove
« on: May 03 2013, 15:17 »
We have a B39 2006- the standard Bavaria/ Techimpex Cooker as a crap oven & we need to replace it.
Can anyone recommend a Stove which will fit the space & has a decent oven?

Thanks,
John

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Replacement Stove
« Reply #1 on: May 03 2013, 16:57 »
You are very limited if you want to keep within the standard cutout if you want to keep the height below the level of the worktop and cover (if you have one). The width is usually OK at a nominal 500mm including gimbals, but the height is max 450mm to top of fiddle rail using the standard gimbals. This precludes the fitment of a cooker with separate grill and most with the grill inside the oven. I fitted the Plastimo Pacific 2500 which is satisfactory, but not sure they are still available. Probably the best of the sensibly priced cookers is the Nelson Spinflo but it is 525mm high.

Calor Gas in Southampton stock probably the widest range of cookers and will give good advice.

Lazy Pelican

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
« Reply #2 on: May 04 2013, 19:47 »
We find the flap down top very useful- we use a portable induction hob to cook on when on shore power, which sits on said flap down top. We've considered the Spinflow Nelson, which I think will just about fit & allow the top to flap down with the rails for the pan holders/ fiddles removed- they simply unscrew, but we'd prefer a stove that we don't have to fiddle with if such a thing exists?

John

Rampage

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #3 on: May 17 2013, 18:07 »
Our techimpex died a couple of years back and we looked at what to replace it with.  The preferred option was one with a grill but they were all too high - as Symphony says - the top of the stove would have been higher than the work surface.  In addition, when allowed to swing on the gimbles it would have fouled the hand rail at the front of the stove 'hole'.  In the end, we got an Eno cooked which seems to be of reasonable quality, fitted straight into the hole and on to the original gimbol brackets.  Not cheap though!  The oven is not temperature controlled but we manage to bake things like scones, brownies and cookies in it OK.  Pizza and bread also work well, as do casseroles.  Whilst not coming out as 'best' in a recent PBO test, the cooker did OK and their oven test confirms our own experience.  We have an oven thermometer and adjust the flame to keep the temperature about right!

Viking

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: 50 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #4 on: May 25 2013, 14:51 »
I can recommend Force 10 as a very good cooker/oven.
Clean, nice brushed stainless steel design (simplicity rules ... ), well-functioning and easy to clean.

I chose a 3 burner for my B50, which required some refitting, as it was deeper than the standard one supplied by Bavaria.
In this case, for a B50 (model 2008/2009), the wooden rail (which is essentially the vertical edge for the entire tabletop), had to be cut off to allow the cooker to protrude a bit while maintaining the gimbal function. As a replacement, a new stainless steel rail was formed and fitted.

Traveller

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #5 on: June 02 2013, 01:20 »
We had exactly the same problem with our Techimpex oven. Dark inside and shelves that aren't captive - dinner on the deck!
Scoured all cookers and chose Nelson Spinflo.  Stainless internals so you can see what is cooking and captive shelves.
Had to do some mods. to gimballing arrangement and did away with folding flaps which had been singed previously.
Thermostatic oven, complete with grill. Also found it a lot cheaper in an inland waterways chandler near Northampton.
Very satisfied especially as we sold the Techimpex on eBay for good money!

Boatname

« Reply #6 on: November 02 2017, 17:46 »
Hi, hoping you are still around, what were the modifications to the gimbals?

TIA

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
« Reply #7 on: November 03 2017, 11:56 »
We have a B39 2006- the standard Bavaria/ Techimpex Cooker as a crap oven & we need to replace it.
Can anyone recommend a Stove which will fit the space & has a decent oven?

Thanks,
John
We also have a 3 burner Techimpex, complete with crappy oven.
    So I re-jetted it 2 years ago. Ordered a range of 3 different sizes from Ebay and simply chose the most suitable. Wow what a difference !!
 Cost £2-3 per jet (tho' obviously only used one), bit cheaper than a new cooker.................Bill

mikeiso1192

• Second Mate
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #8 on: November 03 2017, 15:01 »
We replaced our Techimpex (beyond economic repair) with an Eno purchased from SVB.
This was virtually a direct swap. Even has electric start.
Can be seen to the right in the attached photo.
Mike

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #9 on: November 05 2017, 08:01 »
As mentioned by others earlier in this thread, most other cookers take up more space than the original Techimpex. At the time when we needed to change ours, having a grill was important, as also was price, and so we chose the Dometic Starlight which projects above the worktop. Our fold out top originally fitted to go over the top of the old Techimpex stove was also badly scorched (ex charter boat), so it was not important for it to be kept.
The Dometic stove is a little narrower than the original so to make up the space a wooden frame was made to fit within the top of the cooker opening, and then a brushed stainless steel frame was fitted to cover over the wooden frame and onto the existing worktop as shown in the photos below.
The Dometic cooker came with its own set of gimbals which were fitted to the new stainless frame, but I was not entirely happy that the gimbals would retain the stove in place in the event of a knock down while out sailing, so I had two small pieces of stainless tube welded to the tops of the gimbals as seen in the second photo below, and through which I have since placed a long 4mm bolt. The bolt is easily remove able should I need to remove the cooker. As for the gimballing action of the cooker, this is easily handled by the amount of space available on my B36(2002). The cooker has a polished stainless steel oven as well as a glass panel in the door, so it's fairly easy to see what's cooking.
A wooden block was cut, smoothed and stained to take up sufficient space at the bottom front right corner to enable the retaining bolt to engage to prevent gimballing when not actually needed.

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: November 05 2017, 09:31 »
For mikeiso1192

How did you get the panel off in front of the fridge?

Been looking at that issue a long time, but did not want to damage wood.

Thanks.
Odysseus
Bav38
Odysseus

mikeiso1192

• Second Mate
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #11 on: November 05 2017, 21:32 »
Bill

More detail can be found on my blog (I am not a very prolific blogger).
http://darleymist.blogspot.co.uk/p/blog-page_11.html
As you can possibly see from the 4th and 5th photo where I started, by working a blade in the gap under the bottom edge as any nicks to the front could be disguised later (actually did not need to). Then with the bottom free I gently and carefully levered the panel until the glue gave up. Sometimes I had to lever from the side by the cooker and when I did I made sure to protect the wood edge.
Have to say that it did need a bit of bravado to get started.
But very pleased with the end product.

Mike