Author Topic: Dinghy stowage and deck fittings  (Read 2237 times)

MagicalArmchair

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria
  • Boat Year: 2002
Dinghy stowage and deck fittings
« on: August 01 2020, 23:08 »
I'm pleased to say our HonWave, ridiculously large 3.8 metre dinghy was a complete success. Having the spinnaker halyard let back to the cockpit means the winch back there makes short work of launching and retrieving the dinghy. With all of us in it and our accumulated junk, huge pushchair, picnic, wetsuits etc its perfect.

Stowing on deck, I have two places I can put it, however, I need some form of deck fittings to tie the little blighter off to I think. Ideally I'd like to site it in front of the mast (so long as it doesn't foul the headsail when tacking), however, there are no suitable points there to tie it off to and I don't want lines running to stanchion bases or any of that nastiness.

The other option is where I am storing it now, here:

In the position above it is kind of made off to a combination of the cradle for the liferaft and the grab rails. Not ideal.

How do you stow your deflated dinghy on deck, and prevent it crashing about? Do you use deck fittings to tie it down? If so, how have you attached them to the deck? Is the foredeck double skinned (Meaning I could just self tap/seal some fittings on)? I note there is no headlining in the forecabin and no sign of the inside parts of any deck fitting already there (there is a small ring slightly forward of the mast for instance).

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Dinghy stowage and deck fittings
« Reply #1 on: August 02 2020, 00:16 »
Factory fit on later boats are folding pad eyes similar to these  www.marinesuperstore.com/deck-hardware/eye-bolts-u-bolts-pad-eyes/wichard-foldinadg-p-eyes either side on the coachroof just aft of the mast so that you can put a lashing across the aft end of the tubes. Another one on the foredeck to take a line from the towing ring on the dinghy would also be a good idea. There is not a huge load on them so self tappers and Sika would be enough to attach them to the coachroof and deck.

Did you get into Newtown River? Busy during the day if it is sunny, but was lovely and quiet Wednesday last week with a perfect sunset.

Rampage

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #2 on: August 02 2020, 09:05 »
On the odd occasion when we’ve used the foredeck to carry the dinghy, we take lines from the forward cleats to the opposite midships cleat.  That hold it secure and (generally) means that the genoa sheets don’t get caught under the ends of the tubes.  Dinghy doesn’t interfere with the foot of the sail, which sweeps a few inches above the dinghy.
However, we generally stow the dinghy inverted on the coach house roof and just use a pair of light lines from the grab rails crossed over it to secure.  Never had a problem with that, despite encountering some entertaining weather on occasions.  For long passages (two nights plus) it’s deflated and either lashed to a grab rail or put below in the “shed” (aka second aft cabin).

MagicalArmchair

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: August 02 2020, 20:15 »
Factory fit on later boats are folding pad eyes similar to these  www.marinesuperstore.com/deck-hardware/eye-bolts-u-bolts-pad-eyes/wichard-foldinadg-p-eyes either side on the coachroof just aft of the mast so that you can put a lashing across the aft end of the tubes. Another one on the foredeck to take a line from the towing ring on the dinghy would also be a good idea. There is not a huge load on them so self tappers and Sika would be enough to attach them to the coachroof and deck.

Did you get into Newtown River? Busy during the day if it is sunny, but was lovely and quiet Wednesday last week with a perfect sunset.

Ah, so the foredeck is double skinned? So, I won't end up drilling holes above the 1st mate and angering her and having the tips of self tapers poking down into the cabin?

Good thought Rampage re the forward cleats to mid ships cleats. I'll give that a go if my lashings to the handrails don't look sound.

Symphony, we had a few days of a blow that kept us in Poole, then one day moored off Brownsea for a visit, dig on the beach and a bit of a walk. We went from there to Lymington (cracking sail) for iced cream for a few nights, then Yarmouth for another beach trip (where we entertained the harbour master greatly by managing to pick up the mooring line on the mid ships cleat and getting pinned side on to the strong tide and wind (in my old smaller boat, I would have been able to hand the line around to the bow - in Mirage no hope! That was a lesson well learned then and deeply amusing (less so at the time!))) and into Southampton where we have left the boat in the rather grim Ocean Village Marina. I'll be delivering her back to the East Coast next Friday - about a 30 hourish passage, alas not much wind is forecast, so it may be a chug.

Thanks for the ideas all, any photos you have of said stowage arrangements would be gratefully received.

Symphony

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: August 02 2020, 23:18 »
You discovered one of the reasons I never pick up the buoys off Yarmouth. Tide always rushing one way or the other except 1 hour either side of high water and very bouncy when you get wind over tide. Much better dropping the hook inside Hurst. Out of the tide and some protection from the west. Short dinghy trip to good beach on both sides of Hurst spit.

Don't forget the sun tan lotion for Friday. Saturday/Sunday might be better with the forecast NW.

MagicalArmchair

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: August 04 2020, 11:54 »
You discovered one of the reasons I never pick up the buoys off Yarmouth. Tide always rushing one way or the other except 1 hour either side of high water and very bouncy when you get wind over tide. Much better dropping the hook inside Hurst. Out of the tide and some protection from the west. Short dinghy trip to good beach on both sides of Hurst spit.

Don't forget the sun tan lotion for Friday. Saturday/Sunday might be better with the forecast NW.

It was a deeply amusing episode (again, in retrospect), and the harbour master and trot boat driver were very charming, professional and patient indeed. It did get a little bouncy as the wind was up at 15 - 20 knots and the tide turned against the wind, however, it was comfortable enough for the night as the wind died off.

Just to confirm, that foredeck is double skinned, so I can drill it.... carefully... if I do choose to put some anchoring points for the dubber and not end up peering into the forecabin? :)

Got out much in the nice weather Symphony??

Symphony

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: August 04 2020, 12:16 »
Pretty sure the inner lining extends all the way forward. The deck moulding is pretty thick as it is cored. The folding pad eyes have 3 fastening holes so 15mm selftappers and Sika would make them more than secure for lashing down the dinghy. That is how the ones on my deck are attached.

Yes, enjoyed some good days out and week before last a 3 day trip where you have just been, Hurst Spit, Beaulieu River and Newtown. Daughter and 2 grandchildren (teenagers) coming tomorrow so planning Thursday to Yarmouth harbour. Not been on this boat before and last time on any boat was when we were in Corfu with the old one. Weather looks Corfu like but the Bugle in Yarmouth is not quite like Nikolas Taverna in Agni Bay!

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #7 on: August 04 2020, 12:18 »
Our 40 Ocean has U-bolts installed through deck for the jackstays from factory. The forward ones are bolted through the deck and the backing nuts have small access holes cut into the GRP inner ceiling liner. Just big enough to get a socket into. You can plug the holes with white furniture plugs.

I'd prefer through-bolting over self-tappers, if you end up with the dinghy on the foredeck in bad weather (which can happen by surprise, although more in some cruising grounds than others), a wave washing over it will probably rip out any self-tappers.

The deck is cored and then there is an air gap between the inside of the deck and the thin inner GRP liner.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #8 on: August 04 2020, 17:34 »
Our 40 Ocean has U-bolts installed through deck for the jackstays from factory. The forward ones are bolted through the deck and the backing nuts have small access holes cut into the GRP inner ceiling liner. Just big enough to get a socket into. You can plug the holes with white furniture plugs.

I'd prefer through-bolting over self-tappers, if you end up with the dinghy on the foredeck in bad weather (which can happen by surprise, although more in some cruising grounds than others), a wave washing over it will probably rip out any self-tappers.

The deck is cored and then there is an air gap between the inside of the deck and the thin inner GRP liner.

I'd agree with that; use bolts with decent washers underneath and fill the headliner holes with plastic plugs.  You can get plugs from SVB if you have difficulty finding them - https://www.svb24.com/en/bavaria-plug-srl-30-ral-9003-signal-white.html