Author Topic: Bav 30 cruiser starboard genoa sheet  (Read 1852 times)

fjoe

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: 30 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
Bav 30 cruiser starboard genoa sheet
« on: July 22 2020, 21:43 »
Our boat is a Bavaria 30 cruiser from 2007, standard equipment, no handicrafts.
Problem: When pulling the starboard genoa sheet tight, the sheet slides down immediately from the winch. A new sheet is even worse.
What helps?

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
Re: Bav 30 cruiser starboard genoa sheet
« Reply #1 on: July 23 2020, 01:03 »
Keep a bit of tension on the self tailor.
or
Get a slightly smaller line.

It appears from the photo that your line may be a little stiff as well. That may not help.

I note that your line appears to be the same size as I use on my 40 ( or 42??) headsail winches.

When I had the boat commissioned, I moved the 30 winches to the aft to be used for a spinnaker( code zero etc) and the movement of the genoa cars. I replaced the main Genoa winches with the larger size.

Craig
"Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia

Rampage

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #2 on: July 23 2020, 08:41 »
With the sheet loose as in the photo, it’s to be expected that the rope will sit as shown.  As you pull on the free end, putting the rope under tension, the bottom coils will tend to move up onto the winch drum.  Once you’ve put the sheet into the self tailer and started winching, all three coils will be seated on the drum, pulled there by the increasing tension on the sheet.

Moodymike

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: July 23 2020, 09:11 »
I Have exactly the same problem on my B32. We try to take up all the slack and then two coils round winch then into the self trailer when there is tension.

fjoe

• Second Mate
« Reply #4 on: July 23 2020, 10:48 »
It's loose only on this photo. It happens also with tension during each tack or jibe to starboard.
Frank

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #5 on: July 23 2020, 14:26 »
Maybe I’m missing something here, but it looks to me that your genoa sheet has been wound onto the winch incorrectly. From what I can see, this is a starboard side winch, where the rope leading down and to the left in the photo being the one coming from the genoa, but it is on top of the other coils rather than below them. Normally the genoa sheet comes in near the bottom of the winch, then turns are added, winding their way upwards, before they then go over the separator and into the selftailing device where it is normally left until such time that you need to slacken off the sheet. Leaving the free end, which is hidden on the far side of the winch in this photo, secure in he self tailing device then prevents the coils from loosening off and sliding down.

fjoe

• Second Mate
« Reply #6 on: July 25 2020, 22:16 »
The picture is showing  a simulation of the situation which I made in our harbor. The sheet is "pulling itsself" downwards from the winch.
No problem with a high tension. But during a normal tack you try to pull as much as possiblee during the tension-free seconds.

I tried a thinner sheet (10 mm instead of 14 mm diameter) without success. Thank you for this advise but 2mm higherwer3 not enough.
I will try to find a pulley with smaller diameter to bring the sheet more  upwards to the winch.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #7 on: July 26 2020, 03:37 »
The picture is showing  a simulation of the situation which I made in our harbor. The sheet is "pulling itsself" downwards from the winch.
No problem with a high tension. But during a normal tack you try to pull as much as possiblee during the tension-free seconds.

Okay, that is a clearer explanation and photograph, but my query to you is why do you need so many turns around the winch during a tack when you are trying to pull in as much of the slack in the line as possible. All those extra turns will hinder your efforts. I usually sail on my own on my B36, and I remove most if not all of the turns during that brief period. Then I add turns back around the winch as the weight comes on to the line before putting the winch handle in place to tighten the sheet as needed. That way the job gets done more quickly and with less effort.
As for the sheet “pulling itself down,” nah thats gravity, you’ll have to blame Isaac Newton for that 🤪

Rampage

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #8 on: July 26 2020, 12:53 »
The simulation looks much like my upwind sheet when sailing, except I usually only have one turn round the winch.  On tacking, the sheet is pulled tighter but still with only one turn.  As the sail starts to come across the boat and the sheet goes slack, then there’s a frenzied bit of activity to take it in.  As the sail completes the tack and tension starts to build, drop a couple of turns on to the winch, pull a little more by hand of possible, otherwise use the winch to compete the tensioning of the sail.  I don’t think you need to add any more blocks into the system, as they’ll just add friction which you don’t need.
As to the thickness of the sheets, that’s down to personal preference as much as anything else.  The actual strength of the rope isn’t too important as even 8mm rope is probably enough to stand the stress of your foresail.  Rather it’s down to what will fit neatly into the self tailer and your preference for handling.  I prefer a somewhat thicker line for the genoa sheets than for the main because so much of the handling is done by hands with only the final part by winch: in comparison, the mainsail is largely handled using the winch so a smaller rope is OK.
Hope that helps....