Author Topic: Standard heater install  (Read 2953 times)

catlotion

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
Standard heater install
« on: July 21 2020, 16:07 »
Does anyone have a heater install as a standard option?

I'm installing a heater on my 2006 Bavaria 30 Cruiser and want to follow the standard approach as close as possible.  I've fitted a Webasto in a previous boat but my main questions are:

• I understand the unit is mounted in the void behind the cockpit locker on the starboard side.  A neighbouring boat said his is mounted across the boat but I remember the heater instructions suggesting it should be longitudinal so it's not affected by heel. If not mounted across the boat on the inside of the transom where would I mount the bracket?
  • Where do I connect power?  My old boat had a connection straight to the battery but was thinking about wiring to the permanent live side of the domestic isolator..?
  • Where is the standard install fresh-air intake taken from?  I know there's debate about external vs internal air but was thinking of taking a feed from outside in the cockpit maybe
  • Likewise with the combustion intake, I know many installs use the stub pipe to pull air from where the heater is mounted but was considering an external feed...?
  • Is there a standard location for a heads vent? Bit apprehensive about cutting into the fibreglass there...

any photos of original heater installs would be really appreciated!

thanks,

Toby

Hobbit2

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 30
  • Boat Year: 2007
Re: Standard heater install
« Reply #1 on: July 21 2020, 19:10 »
    Hi,
    Please see my comments down below based on my 30 cruiser set up.

Best
    Andre

Does anyone have a heater install as a standard option?

I'm installing a heater on my 2006 Bavaria 30 Cruiser and want to follow the standard approach as close as possible.  I've fitted a Webasto in a previous boat but my main questions are:

• I understand the unit is mounted in the void behind the cockpit locker on the starboard side.  A neighbouring boat said his is mounted across the boat but I remember the heater instructions suggesting it should be longitudinal so it's not affected by heel. If not mounted across the boat on the inside of the transom where would I mount the bracket?
  • Where do I connect power?  My old boat had a connection straight to the battery but was thinking about wiring to the permanent live side of the domestic isolator..?
My power runs through panel. There is dedicated push button for heater. See download section panel 301 shows it second row
  • Where is the standard install fresh-air intake taken from?  I know there's debate about external vs internal air but was thinking of taking a feed from outside in the cockpit maybe
Intake comes from steering compartment
  • Likewise with the combustion intake, I know many installs use the stub pipe to pull air from where the heater is mounted but was considering an external feed...?
  • Is there a standard location for a heads vent? Bit apprehensive about cutting into the fibreglass there...
head has original no vent. Only one saloon and one v-berth
[/list]

any photos of original heater installs would be really appreciated!

thanks,

Toby

bavaria30adela

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 30c
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #2 on: November 23 2021, 20:28 »
How did it work out? I was planning to use the cockpit locker but the exhaust hose is too short so guess it must be the void behind

sunshine

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30
« Reply #3 on: November 25 2021, 18:41 »
Mine is a mikuni. Sits fore and aft on the shelf in the cockpit locker. Mine is on a permanent live - I understand that this always allows the unit to do a full shutdown (run the fan for a bit after the burner is off to dissipate heat etc) which might not happen if someone switches it off at the panel.

The trunking takes a complex route to give vents in the heads, both cabins and the saloon, but it looks a professions install.  I retro-fitted the eber trunk insulation. Makes a huge difference, saving both fuel and volts by getting the saloon up to temp quicker allowing the unit to drop to low power setting more quickly.

Air is taken from the cockpit locker itself, so is dry, and will come through ultimately from the vent under the helmsmans seat.

I'll take photos and send them on next time I'm down there.

kavok

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 40 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2008

catlotion

• First Mate
« Reply #5 on: November 26 2021, 13:15 »
Sorry, just seen these responses.

Thanks for the information everyone.

Mine went in the void behind the cockpit locker as I didn't want it to take up locker space and have issues with a hot exhaust against things in the locker.

See 2nd photo.  The exhaust loops up in a swan neck and out the transom.  I bolted a piece of oak plank to the ply bulkhead to mount it to so could get it in the right position to optimise duct runs (straight as possible).  The one thing I did change on the exhaust is to add a 90 degree stainless elbow at the heater so I could mount the heater quite low in the void.  Without this the exhaust pipe was a bit close to the GRP for my comfort!

The 60mm duct running under the heater is for the aft cabin and is fed from the main duct via a reversed y piece under the cockpit locker floor (to reduce flow).  I went for a heads outlet too for drying wet weather gear and another in the fore cabin (under the starboard cupboard).

I've since connected a hose for the fresh air intake to a vent in the cockpit locker.  You can just see it by the wheel in the other photo.  I've also insulated most of the ducting (where practical).

Dirt by the toilet is after drilling the hole through the fibreglass btw!

Bav32

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #6 on: June 06 2022, 11:47 »
About the heater installation in the cockpit locker. Has anyone noticed that the heater sucks air in from the vents on deck? I just realized this when I was wondering about the condensation in the boat. Apparently the heater doesn't get enough air from the only vent I have in my 32 under the seat behind the wheel.

Is this an issue? Should I add one more vent, try one night with the cockpit locker hatch open, or should I just stop worrying and enjoy the (cold) summer?

Bavaria 46

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 46 Holiday
  • Boat Year: 2008
« Reply #7 on: June 06 2022, 20:54 »
Hi,

I am afraid geometrically I canĀ“t help you as the position for installation in a 46 cruiser is different. But something you may consider for your electrical wiring:

I have the same Bavaria Panel 301 with a "Heating" switch. In our case it is not used for the WEBASTO heating. I have had some trouble with the WEBASTO heating some years ago and the WEBASTO service has been on board. They explained not to use this switch, as the heating should not be switched of during operation immedeately, as the heating is going through a after heat removal program. (The fan keeps operating for some minutes.) The WEBASTO service recommandation was not to use this switch. On our boat the heating is connetected with the battery main switch and has an own circuit breaker. We switch it of with the switch of the WEBASTO panel. In this case it still has energy and can cool down itself smoothly.

BR

Ingo

catlotion

• First Mate
« Reply #8 on: July 13 2023, 14:21 »
About the heater installation in the cockpit locker. Has anyone noticed that the heater sucks air in from the vents on deck? I just realized this when I was wondering about the condensation in the boat. Apparently the heater doesn't get enough air from the only vent I have in my 32 under the seat behind the wheel.

Is this an issue? Should I add one more vent, try one night with the cockpit locker hatch open, or should I just stop worrying and enjoy the (cold) summer?

an old post I know but just noticed this question.  I added another vent in the side of the cockpit (by your feet) - see my 1st photo, you can just see it.  I ducted this to the air intake of the heater as I was a bit paranoid about drawing air from the same compartment as the exhaust and wanted fresh air from outside (well from the cockpit anyway)