Author Topic: Replace Raymarine ST60 wind  (Read 1711 times)

Florisant

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2003
Replace Raymarine ST60 wind
« on: July 21 2020, 00:16 »
Dear forum members,

This is my first post and I hope I am placing this topic in the right place.
My Bavaria is fitted with a Raymarine ST60 Wind display left of the entrance. I would like to remove the display for service, but I can not figure out how to remove the display.
Is the ST60 Wind display fixed from behind and in that case how to reach the screws or do you have to remove the bezel at the front?
I am looking forward to the answer, since my neighbour in the marina with a Bavaria 40-2 has exactly the same problem and question.

Kind reagards,

Florisant

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Replace Raymarine ST60 wind
« Reply #1 on: July 21 2020, 03:42 »
it might help if you could provide a photo, and I’m guessing as it is your first posting that you are still feeling your way around the forum, figuring out how to do it. Below the text entry box you will see in bold type “Attachments and other options.” If you click on that, various options will come up like taking a photo, or “Attach and choose a file” from your file of photographs on your computer.
As for the instrument location, I have instruments placed on both sides of the companionway entrance, where there is a way of leading the data cables up from the engine compartment below. In my case I mounted the instruments first on to plywood bases, then screwed the bases to the glass fibre mouldings, but with a soft gasket in between made from an offcut of vinyl floor covering   But I’m guessing your instrument might be stuck on with some kind of sealant, and hopefully not a permanent adhesive. You could try using a long but thin bladed knife to see if you can get the knife between the instrument and the glass fibre and run it around the instrument in the hope of cutting through the sealant if that is what has been used. In your case from what you have said, the back of the instrument will protrude through a hole in the GRP so it is unlikely that you would cut any of the wires coming out of the back.

buttonfreebie

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 41
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #2 on: July 21 2020, 11:58 »
Fixed from behind by two thumb nuts. Not sure about access but imagine from within engine compartment. Owners manual is available on line showing installation. Regards

Moodymike

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: July 21 2020, 18:26 »
I fitted a display in the same position. Only way I found to fix it was with silicone sealant. Should come off as Salty describes.

Stevie H

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36 Holiday
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #4 on: July 21 2020, 23:45 »
I have instruments on both sides of the companion way in this location on my B36 2000, ST60 Multi repeater one side and ST60 Close Hauled Wind the other.

They were factory fitted and I did at one time investigate how to remove them just in case. On my boat there is a square stainless steel louvre vent on each side of the companion way recess, just in front of the washboards and I worked out it should be just possible to access the vents from within the engine bay to remove them and that would give reasonable access to the back of the instruments. Like many things on a boat, some experience as a contortionist would no doubt help!

Unfortunately you may find the little thumbwheel retainers have corroded on to the threaded pins, which conveniently snaps off where it enters the back of the casing

semaphore

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Ocean 38
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #5 on: July 24 2020, 02:08 »
Dear forum members,

This is my first post and I hope I am placing this topic in the right place.
My Bavaria is fitted with a Raymarine ST60 Wind display left of the entrance. I would like to remove the display for service, but I can not figure out how to remove the display.
Is the ST60 Wind display fixed from behind and in that case how to reach the screws or do you have to remove the bezel at the front?
I am looking forward to the answer, since my neighbour in the marina with a Bavaria 40-2 has exactly the same problem and question.

Kind reagards,

Florisant

I recently did this as well. I was able to see that there were no thumbscrews with an endoscopic camera.

Gently snap off the bezel, and there should be 4 screws.

Florisant

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #6 on: July 24 2020, 23:07 »
Today I was able to check the suggestions on board.
I checked if the ST60 wind was fixed from behind, but on the back there where no thumb screws.
As suggested by Semaphore I carefully removed the bezel and found that the display was fixed with 4 screws. This was the case on the B44 and also on the B40 from a family member.
Thank you for the replies.