Author Topic: D1-30 heat exchanger tube size  (Read 1466 times)

Bobb

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
D1-30 heat exchanger tube size
« on: July 15 2020, 18:05 »
anyone know the inner diameter of the tubes in the heat exchanger for a D1-30? I'm planning on doing a clean-out and would be looking for a brush or file the correct size.

Thanks ..

Bob
2009 Bav 36 Sympatheia

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: D1-30 heat exchanger tube size
« Reply #1 on: July 16 2020, 07:39 »
They are pretty small tubes Bob, sometimes you can find a pack of very small bottle brushes, but even these are large compared with the size of the tubes. Possibly some “Pipe Cleaners”  purchased from a tobacconist might do the job, or some very thin Wooden dowelling, or maybe some piano wire or similar, but be gentle when using it. Usually the deposits found are soft and slushy, but there might be some barnacle shell within the tubes, and in which case you can usually remove the tube nest, and then soak it in vinegar which will help to dissolve the shells left by any temporary squatters. Take care when putting the tube nest back in place to locate it in the same position.

Rampage

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #2 on: July 20 2020, 10:49 »
When I had a disintegrated impeller and got a collection of bits stuck in the tubes, I wound up looking all through the stuff on board for something to push through the tubes to remove the bits.  In the end, I found some 4.5mm aluminium rods which fitted nicely.  Unfortunately, they were the Admiral’s knitting needles.....  Not actually long enough, but take the tops off and you can use the second needle to push the first through the matrix.  Thankfully, the needles were not actually in use at the time, so no knitting was sacrificed in the altar of engine repair....

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B-Cruiser 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #3 on: July 20 2020, 13:05 »
you can buy ordinary steel studding and it normally comes in one metre lengths and should do the trick!