Author Topic: Bav 30 cruiser water in bilge from stringer  (Read 1931 times)

Hobbit2

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 30
  • Boat Year: 2007
Bav 30 cruiser water in bilge from stringer
« on: July 13 2020, 08:49 »
Hello crowd knowledge,

I do own a Bav 30 cruiser from 2007. On my current trip I noticed water in the bilge between navstation and pantry. The water runs out of stringer. I have tried to use usb camera to see where water comes from to no avail.

It is sweet water and pressure system is not running due to loss of pressure with no tap open. Also rain no rain makes no difference. I suspect fridge but could not find a drain.....

Has anyone experienced similar thing and can give guidance?

TIA

Ziffius

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
Re: Bav 30 cruiser water in bilge from stringer
« Reply #1 on: July 13 2020, 09:07 »
Water that appears out of the stringer can be from leaks or spillages from some time ago as it takes time and motion of the boat to shuffle the water through the various compartments and stringers to arrive at the bilge. Drying out the bilge with a sponge again and again until no more water comes out of the stringer is first step to try and estimate if there is a big or small leak. If it’s fresh water there and you don’t find the fresh water pump cycling much when you don’t run a tap is a good sign of no leaks in fresh water system which likely means a rain water leak most likely from a stanchion base.

You say “pressure system is not running due to loss of pressure with no tap open” If that is correct statement it means you have a leak in your fresh water system. If you switch the fresh water pump on does it run continuously with all taps shut?

Keweetoo

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 35E
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #2 on: July 13 2020, 10:26 »
I had the same issues and the water enters the stringers and eventually finds its way to the bilge when the boat is sailing. Carefully check your water fittings for small leaks - the hot water heater over pressure valve can weep and can be difficult to see as it only opens when the water is hot (my issue) or the deck shower fittings for instance are prone.  Using paper towels or talc can help track down. If all the plumbing is OK then suspect rain water coming through a deck fitting such as stanchion base and conduct a systematic check. I still have some small leak which requires a quick sponge up every few weeks.

fjoe

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: 30 cruiser
« Reply #3 on: July 13 2020, 19:33 »
The water can flow through the holes which are in the hollow stringers and frames for tubes and cables.
We had about 100 liters in the bilge of our Bav 30 last year. We unscrewd all floorboards between table and engine to dry our bilge.
I assume that it was rain water because mechanics let the bent-board open when they disassembled the engine for about a week (outside).
Since our hard work the bilge is clean and dry again.

A friend reported that the the extreme heat of the hot water boiler is damaging the ends of the plastic water pipes until it's leaking.

Good hunting!

Hobbit2

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 30
« Reply #4 on: July 22 2020, 10:14 »
Hi everyone,

I in meantime have had suspicion that earlier discovered leak in transom shower was root cause of water from stringer. I decided to continue to observe before ripping out toe rail or similar......

Thx again and have a nice one!

Best
Andre

Moodymike

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: July 23 2020, 09:14 »
I had identical problem, traced to a slight leak in elbow joint just before pump. Traced via talcum powder. Hence no tell tale pump cycling under pressure.