Author Topic: Engine instrument panel alarm - engine not running  (Read 2113 times)

KiwiBeanie

• Second Mate
Hi

The instrument panel is beeping and I don't know why.

I started motor and went for a small run - just to fill up the diesel. Moored up ok and no issue, but as soon as I connected to shore power the intermittent beeping from the engine instrument panel began. Turned off shore power and beeping stopped, turn back on and a couple of minutes later it starts again.

Any ideas what the reason is and where to start looking?

Thanks

nightowle

• Able Seaman
  • S/V In Deep - 1999 Bavaria 35E
  • Boat Model: 35 Exclusive
  • Boat Year: 1999
Re: Engine instrument panel alarm - engine not running
« Reply #1 on: July 12 2020, 22:38 »
For certain, I'm not very knowledgable on this but I assume the beep is related to a low charging alarm from the alternator.  There must be a faulty connection that runs further along from the alternator through the battery hookup to the shore power.  It's a lot of pathway there to check, but maybe someone else can chime in pinpointing the cause.
S/V In Deep - 1999 Bavaria 35E
Seattle, WA USA

Stockie

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: 37 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #2 on: July 13 2020, 08:03 »
If the engine is running and you have shore power connected?  It could be from the alt detecting no charge because the batteries are at higher than typical alt charge.
Mine does this when the engine is idling, but it has never caused me any issues in a couple of years.
Cheers Richard

KiwiBeanie

• Second Mate
« Reply #3 on: July 13 2020, 11:57 »
Thanks for the replies.

Just to be clear this is with the motor turned off.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #4 on: July 13 2020, 14:15 »
Just to be clear, have you actually turned the panel off after you have run the engine - not just stopped it, but pressed the "Off" button. If you don'e. it will beep periodically to remind you. Doubt there is any connection with the shorepower, as there is no direct connection between this and the ships circuit except through the battery charger.

KiwiBeanie

• Second Mate
« Reply #5 on: July 13 2020, 20:25 »
The instrument panel is off  - key removed.

The beeping started after connecting to shore power. I disconnected power and it stopped. Reconnected and it started again.  I repeated this a couple of times.