Author Topic: Fresh water pump  (Read 1805 times)

buttonfreebie

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 41
  • Boat Year: 2004
Fresh water pump
« on: July 11 2020, 11:39 »
My old shurflow pump has stopped working I don’t know if the in line old style twist lock filter is blocked or if the pump has failed. The plastic piping is not easy to get at and I don’t know how to separate what appears to be push type fittings. Can anyone advise how these come apart. Thank you

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Fresh water pump
« Reply #1 on: July 11 2020, 12:11 »
They have a retaining ring. To release the pipe from the fitting, push the retaining ring back into the fitting, then pull the pipe out.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

buttonfreebie

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 41
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #2 on: July 11 2020, 13:59 »
Thank you Yngmar. I am familiar with the new style push fittings but these old ones look different. Unfortunately I have not taken a photo but my installation Bav 41 2004 is the same as an earlier thread photo   I also don’t know if there is a means of isolating the two water tanks while I remove the pump.

Moodymike

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: July 11 2020, 16:05 »
Has anyone found a way of damping down the vibration that the pump emits. Although I have a new pump it is still very noisy, appears to be amplified by the wood plate it is mounted on.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #4 on: July 11 2020, 18:25 »
Don't think you need to isolate the tanks as they are below the level of the pump. so when you disconnect the pump the water in the pipework will drain down into the tank that is open. As soon as you reconnect the pump it will draw water up from the tank. Good idea though to put a shut off valve in the feedpipe from each tank as they drain by gravity. No need to attach it to the tank itself - it can be close by in the pipe. I used normal domestic plastic valves for mine. You have to drain the tank first of course. I also put shut off valves in the deck shower feeds, located in the lazarette.