Author Topic: Bavaria 30 Cruiser - Fuel tank design / heater feed  (Read 2606 times)

catlotion

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
hi everyone,

new boat so still on the hunt for lots of info!  I meant to go an take photos of this when I was last up but forgot.   I'm ordering a new diesel heater and have heard that people have issues fitting the dip tube to plastic fuel tanks.   Does anyone have a photo of the tank fittings by any chance so I can run it by the heater supplier?   I'd rather not add an inline feed on the engine if I can help it.

also, this is probably me being dim, but what's the 240v switch for the shower for?   You've obviously got the normal water pump and 12v drain pump on the other panel but couldn't find any description in the manual about what the AC switch does...?

thanks,

Toby

SorinCT

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria C36
  • Boat Year: 2005
Re: Bavaria 30 Cruiser - Fuel tank design / heater feed
« Reply #1 on: June 29 2020, 15:01 »
Where is the AC switch located? If it's an ACB on the 220V it is your shore power breaker and disconnect. Depending on situation you will most commonly find 3 220V outlets on the boat. Hot water heater, battery charger and one outlet for general purpose.
What areas do you sail to mandate the use of a diesel fuel heater?

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: June 29 2020, 16:55 »
The 240V switch is for the immersion heater in the calorifier.

catlotion

• First Mate
« Reply #3 on: June 30 2020, 16:26 »
it's the AC on the 302 Panel.  See attached.   There's another switch for the immersion.   K for sockets, mystery shower one and immersion...?   Is there another shower pump for AC?

I sail on Windermere in the UK and gets pretty chilly.  Don't like tripping over extension leads for fan heaters and diesel heaters are really good for drying out boats.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #4 on: June 30 2020, 17:09 »
You will find the wiring diagram and the 301/2 panel description on the second page of the manuals thread above. Posted by Livefats. tHe same diagram will be in your owners manual. The "Shower" circuit will be a for a 240v outlet in the loo compartment. However, I am not sure it is actually there and might be in the aft cabin. Anyway it will be for the 240v outlet that is not in the galley, which is the other switched outlet.

Bav32

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #5 on: June 30 2020, 18:26 »
hi everyone,

new boat so still on the hunt for lots of info!  I meant to go an take photos of this when I was last up but forgot.   I'm ordering a new diesel heater and have heard that people have issues fitting the dip tube to plastic fuel tanks.   Does anyone have a photo of the tank fittings by any chance so I can run it by the heater supplier?   I'd rather not add an inline feed on the engine if I can help it.

also, this is probably me being dim, but what's the 240v switch for the shower for?   You've obviously got the normal water pump and 12v drain pump on the other panel but couldn't find any description in the manual about what the AC switch does...?

thanks,

Toby

This is the only picture I have. There is two extra fittings, one with the pipe going all the way to the bottom, and one which goes half way. I use the one that goes to the bottom for my heater.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #6 on: June 30 2020, 21:26 »
On my B36(2002) the heater fuel supply is taken directly from the primary fuel filter. The filter has two outlets so the outlet not used for Engine fuel was the one used to supply the heater.
An alternative to making a new connection into the tank might be to use a “T” connection into the existing fuel line either before or after the primary filter and a separate filter if needed for your heater fuel line.

catlotion

• First Mate
« Reply #7 on: June 30 2020, 22:14 »
This is the only picture I have. There is two extra fittings, one with the pipe going all the way to the bottom, and one which goes half way. I use the one that goes to the bottom for my heater.

Thanks, hopefully that's what I have.  I'd rather connect directly to the tank than use a T connection.  Dual outlet filter sounds good too...

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #8 on: July 01 2020, 03:26 »
Using a “T” connection is not a problem, I visited our local automotive and hydraulic parts dealer and purchased a couple of “T” connectors, plus hose tails plus stop end connections when I wanted to connect in a fuel polishing system last winter. This enabled me to connect in and use a “Patrick Laine” style fuel polisher While leaving the fuel system otherwise intact. (Thanks Patrick, and I hope I haven’t spelled your name wrong). By having the “T” pieces in place it meant that in addition to fuel polishing, I could also run the diesel heater, and all while staying onboard my boat including overnight during last winter. Okay on this occasion it was the polishing system that was connected via the “T” piece connections, while the heater remained connected as originally set up via second outlet on the primary fuel filter, but it could just as easily have been the diesel heater that had been connected through a “T” piece. Once the fuel polishing had been done, the polishing system was removed and the now unused “T” piece connections were then blanked off using the stop end connections purchased earlier.
As for fuel leaks, “wot leaks,” there weren’t any.
The “T” pieces remain connected with one end temporarily blanked off but otherwise ready for use again next winter when the tank contents will be polished again, and again every winter all the while I keep my boat.

catlotion

• First Mate
« Reply #9 on: July 01 2020, 09:43 »
Thanks Salty.

sounds like a plan.   I've watched that video of Patrick's too.  Very good!   We had a fuel tank nightmare when we bought our last boat - had to flush the whole thing.  Smelly, dirty business.  Wish I'd seen that video then.

sunshine

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30
« Reply #10 on: July 05 2020, 18:06 »
it's the AC on the 302 Panel.  See attached.   There's another switch for the immersion.   K for sockets, mystery shower one and immersion...?   Is there another shower pump for AC?

I sail on Windermere in the UK and gets pretty chilly.  Don't like tripping over extension leads for fan heaters and diesel heaters are really good for drying out boats.

"K" is for kitchen, just that socket not any others. The shower one us for the socket inside the cabinet in the heads. As you say, the third one is for the immersion, which is actually also a socket into which the ac lead is plugged somewhere aft of the saildrive.

catlotion

• First Mate
« Reply #11 on: July 06 2020, 09:35 »
Thanks.  I'm up on the boat now and found the socket in the heads!  Never really expect 240v sockets in wet areas...

Have to say I really like the build quality and how things are organised on the Bavaria.

catlotion

• First Mate
« Reply #12 on: July 07 2020, 09:39 »
Ah yes, and have the same fuel tank configuration so will use one of those take off points I think.