Author Topic: Looking for a Ocean 38 or 40  (Read 3461 times)

rob-roy

• Swab
Looking for a Ocean 38 or 40
« on: June 20 2020, 21:09 »
Hi,

I’m looking for a 38 or 40 Bavarian Ocean. It would be OK, if the motor is old or broken, as I want to replace it by an electric one.
I you hear from someone selling in UK or Europe, let me know.

Thanks!
Robert

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Looking for a Ocean 38 or 40
« Reply #1 on: June 20 2020, 21:55 »
There's a 40 Ocean for sale down the pontoon here (no, not ours - it's "Jo-Lu"). Seems little used and in need of some general TLC, but not in bad shape overall. Engine is a MD22 and I expect working fine.

Same boat with two different sets of photos:

https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/2001/bavaria-40-ocean-3614403/
https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/2001/bavaria-40-ocean-3616280/
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #2 on: June 20 2020, 22:28 »

Same boat with two different sets of photos:

And two rather different prices!

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: June 21 2020, 12:00 »
I know of someone who is thinking of selling her Ocean 42.  It's been very well looked after.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #4 on: June 21 2020, 16:33 »
Replacing a Volvo saildrive with an electric motor is simply not a realistic proposition with any readily available hardware. Equally unlikely you will find one with a bad motor. They are very desirable boats and hold their value well. Not only are the engines very durable, but are easily and cheaply repaired or replaced.

rob-roy

• Swab
« Reply #5 on: June 21 2020, 17:18 »
many thanks for all the response.
I should have mentioned a budget, what I have available. It’s about 50-60K.
I would never change a running motor for an electric one, that doesn’t make sense at all. but when it comes up to replace an old one, I would consider to go electric...

@Yngmar, I’ve seen that offer. It somehow seems to have a lot of marketing around it? For off grid it has a generator, but no solar...? most people I know would install solar charger before a generator. but it seems nice equipped. just a bit over my budget though...
It’s my first boat I want to buy, hence being a bit shy on extremely marketed offers. last one I found interesting turned out to be a fraud. I luckily spotted it in his behaviour writing.

This offer would have been a dream, but gone.
https://www.boats-caribbean.com/sailing-monohull/bavaria-yachts/bavaria-40-ocean-pre-owned_951.html

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #6 on: June 21 2020, 17:40 »
"A lot of marketing" is literally what brokers do, and this size boat is typically (although not always) sold through a broker. Just ignore the marketing and look at the boats.

You'd be very lucky to get one for 50-60k€ - there would be something wrong with it at that price, like it's not tax paid and abandoned at anchor in the Caribbean at the start of hurricane season (like the example you found). If you do spot a bargain, you've got to be extremely quick with arranging travel to view it (which can be difficult during a global pandemic), or willing to make an offer and put down a deposit with the boat unseen, which is extremely risky.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Symphony

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: June 21 2020, 23:38 »
You don't say where you are located, where you want to buy and what you intend doing with the boat. If in Europe, then you will be able to buy a similar sized aft cockpit boat from the early 2000's in reasonable condition within that budget in £s. Centre cockpit boats command typically 20-25% premium, just as they did when new and are much more difficult to find. If you are set on a centre cockpit boat then you will need to look at boats from Westerly, Moody, Countess, HR, Contest etc which will be typically 10-20 years older in that price range.

Boats of this type have a limited market so tend to take anything up to a year from when they first come on the market to selling, particularly if located in the Med like the one referred to above. Potential buyers for the boat are likely to be northern Europeans looking to cruise or liveaboard in the Med - just like the sellers who have finished their project. You will find literally hundreds of such boats, mainly in Greece, Croatia, Spain, Turkey, south of France, Italy and although most will be well equipped they may also be "well worn". This market is very uncertain at the moment, not just because of Covid restricting movement, but uncertainties for British buyers and sellers over Brexit and it could be that there will be lots of distressed sellers and therefore big price readjustments over the next year or so.

The choice is perhaps more restricted in N Europe if you are looking for a boat for that purpose or for sailing offshore and many will need updating and upgrading to be suitable for use in warmer climates. If your budget is 60k for a fully functioning boat then you need to be looking at boats with asking prices less than that - substantially less the older the boat. Expect to spend 20-50% of the purchase price on updating and upgrades. Remember, new a similar size boat even from a mass producer like Bavaria will be at least £180k in basic form and cost of parts is related to that, not your buying price.

rob-roy

• Swab
« Reply #8 on: June 22 2020, 18:05 »
Many thanks for your thoughts.
@Symphony, I agree a 100% percent to your writing. Hence, my budget considers only the buying price. I'm located in UK but also live in Germany, Austria. Hence, I'm looking in hole Europe, but consider to have the boat in the Mediterranean Sea. I'm not in a rush to find a yacht, just asking if someone hears about one selling. Those on boat24 and other pages I can monitor myself, yet I 'm thankful for anybody for a hint!

I'm new to become a boat owner, but I have done some miles on the water already, including an Atlantic crossing with the ARC last year. It made me hungry for more...
I carefully looked at the market and looked at different boats and came finally to the Ocean 38 model (my favourite). Maybe because I'm a Bavarian myself ;-)
Hunter and Beneteau have some nice CCs, too. But somehow I like the Bavarians more.

@Yngmar, yes, I need to be lucky but also I'm patient. This is a great community here and hopefully I can be part in it some time in the future, too.

Symphony

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: June 22 2020, 23:01 »
The Ocean range is probably the best of the production centre cockpit boats, partly because it was built towards the end of the era when such boats were popular. The 40 is far and away the most common. They tend to be bought by people as their last boat, or for a specific cruising project and are generally very well equipped and maintained. The one in Licata is typical. Only 2 owners and current one, who spent a huge sum upgrading her has owned her for 6 years. It is well worth paying more for this sort of boat than one that is starting to go downhill. Better to have a fully functioning  boat with a lot of recent gear so you only spend money on improvements rather than getting a poor boat up to a good standard. The overall spend to get it how you want will almost certainly be less. On the other hand if you enjoy fixing boats rather than sailing, get one that needs fixing!

As I suggested I suspect there will be a lot of boats coming on the market in the Med as older people in particular will be giving up the cruising lifestyle. Many will end up in Greece or Spain because these are the most popular areas for N Europeans. Levkas in the Ionian is a great place to look for a cruising boat. The boatyards there and in nearby Preveza are full of boats for sale. Well worth a week holiday to look around there and perhaps COrfu to get a feel for both what you can buy for your money and soak up a bit of the cruising lifestyle.

Happy boat hunting

Symphony

• Old Salt

rob-roy

• Swab
« Reply #11 on: June 29 2020, 11:57 »
Thanks Symphony.
I asked the broker a few weeks ago, if the owner considers a sale below 70,000.
There was no response...

Symphony

• Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: June 29 2020, 13:40 »
Not surprised. Looks like the owners could still be living aboard and maybe in no hurry to sell. Might be different if they return to UK permanently and boat gets laid up.