Author Topic: Halyard replacement  (Read 1910 times)

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
Halyard replacement
« on: June 10 2020, 13:03 »
Our Bavaria 40 AC 2001 has 10mm all rope main halyard and 12mm rope to steel wire genoa halyard. They are both quite worn, so planning to replace them for the next season.

The current main halyard is polyester over dyneema (based on flame test) and I suspect the rope part of of genoa halyard to be double braid polyester.

What is your experience in replacing worn halyards? I have been thinking about replacing these with moderate-cost poly-over-dyneema ropes as e.g. Gleistein Race XP, but other options would be to stick on current design (steel with double braid poly) or splice a pure dyneema leader to double braid poly rope that looks pretty straightforward https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aohGiTNCMQE

BR

Tommi
s/y Anniina

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
Re: Halyard replacement
« Reply #1 on: June 10 2020, 13:35 »
I just use braid on braid for everything, with a bigger one for the genoa halyard.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
« Reply #2 on: June 10 2020, 14:22 »
We've replaced the steel/rope Genoa halyard with a good quality Gleistein polyester halyard (no wire), braided cover over straight filament. This works well in practice and I don't think there'd be much benefit from going Dyneema here. You must inspect the masthead sheave for damage from the wire, but ours was fine. Replace if damaged or too rough - you basically don't want it chewing up the new rope.

Also don't forget to service your clutches while you're at it.

The main halyard is still original, although due for replacement soon. I think here (with our in-mast furling) there would be some benefit from Dyneema and I'll probably go for polyester braid with UHMWPE core. Gotta keep the size or the clutches won't hold it. Although the Gleistein type would probably be okay too.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
« Reply #3 on: June 11 2020, 10:35 »
Thanks for Your valuable comments. This season I am sailing with current setup, but once the mast is down, will inspect the top sheaves and service accordingly.

Expected next replacement experience report +1year from today.

BR

Tommi
s/y Anniina