Author Topic: Volvo MD2020 Oil Change query  (Read 1352 times)

ICENI

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2002
Volvo MD2020 Oil Change query
« on: May 26 2020, 13:43 »
Previously on my old boat I used a sucker unit down the dip stick pipe when doing oil changes.   I always ran the engine to get the deposit at the bottom of the sump mixed with the oil before removal.

I have recently become the proud owner of a Bavaria 32 cruiser and need to do an oil change.   I notice there is a bit of room beneath the engine.

I wondered about the possibility of oil removal by using a tray beneath the engine and removing the oil the traditional way.

Has anyone used this method please?

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Volvo MD2020 Oil Change query
« Reply #1 on: May 26 2020, 13:51 »
Don't think there is room. There is, however a dedicated evacuation hole on the crankcase for your extraction tube rather than going down the dipstick tube.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
« Reply #2 on: May 26 2020, 14:35 »
Don't think there is room. There is, however a dedicated evacuation hole on the crankcase for your extraction tube rather than going down the dipstick tube.

Symphony is correct, it’s a small metal tube with a rubber cover over its end which just pulls off. The tube is more or less below the dipstick, and assuming your engine oil level is within the normal range, nothing will overflow out of that lower evacuation hole once the cover has been pulled off. On my B36(2002) the space below the engine is pretty much inaccessible so far as human hands are concerned though an experienced contortionist might just about make it. Cleaning any spilt oil from that area has to be done with the oil suction pump initially, then with some absorbent cloth tied onto a stick.

ICENI

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
« Reply #3 on: May 26 2020, 23:17 »
Thankyou guys.  Much appreciated.