Author Topic: Waterpump shower noise  (Read 2276 times)

Tris

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 46C-3
  • Boat Year: 2006
Waterpump shower noise
« on: May 26 2020, 11:41 »
Hi there,

Does anyone have experience or knows how to get rid of the terrible noise our waterpump in the headshower is making.
It is attached directly on the wall next to the galley sink and underneath the sink in the shower.

It makes a terrible noise inside the boat (wall trembling) as well as outside which wakes up our neighbours every day.

The pump is a Jabsco 37202-2012 and is probably in the boat since 2006 and has a separate filter.

Thanks for your help!!

Diga

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 45 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2010
Re: Waterpump shower noise
« Reply #1 on: May 26 2020, 14:22 »
Hi Tris,

What I did was to add an "accumulator" (approx. 2 L Jabsco container) right after the pump. It reduces the pump work and thus the frequency of noise as the pump will only work when pressure in the "accumulator" is low.

Cheers,
Bo

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #2 on: May 26 2020, 14:50 »
[quote author=Tris link=topic=2824.msg18291#msg18291 date=1590489699
It makes a terrible noise inside the boat (wall trembling) as well as outside which wakes up our neighbours every day.
[/quote]

Shower evacuation pumps are not the quietest in operation, but are your pump mounting bolts/screws loose thereby allowing the pump to rattle around ? You could try mounting it on some thick rubber to absorb any vibration.
Another possibility might be that the pump suction filter could be blocked. If you can’t remember when you last cleaned the filter then it’s most likely overdue. On my boat the filter has a wire mesh within, this can be pulled out and the attached crud then washed away into a bucket for suitable disposal.

Tris

• Swab
« Reply #3 on: June 02 2020, 10:14 »
Hi Tris,

What I did was to add an "accumulator" (approx. 2 L Jabsco container) right after the pump. It reduces the pump work and thus the frequency of noise as the pump will only work when pressure in the "accumulator" is low.

Cheers,
Bo

Hi Bo,

Thanks for the advice. good idea!

Coletta

Tris

• Swab
« Reply #4 on: June 02 2020, 10:18 »
[quote author=Tris link=topic=2824.msg18291#msg18291 date=1590489699

Shower evacuation pumps are not the quietest in operation, but are your pump mounting bolts/screws loose thereby allowing the pump to rattle around ? You could try mounting it on some thick rubber to absorb any vibration.
Another possibility might be that the pump suction filter could be blocked. If you can’t remember when you last cleaned the filter then it’s most likely overdue. On my boat the filter has a wire mesh within, this can be pulled out and the attached crud then washed away into a bucket for suitable disposal.
[/quote]

Thanks for the tips.
We have already put rubber between the bolts and screws. And clean the filter every week.
so looking further ;)

Lazy Pelican

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
« Reply #5 on: June 02 2020, 14:28 »
We have the same problem with the evacuation pump in our en-suite heads. The pump in the main heads is fine.
Tried all sorts of solutions but non have made a difference, so I’m interested if anyone has actually solved this.

John

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #6 on: June 02 2020, 16:34 »

That works with fresh water pressure pumps.  The pump which Tris has is a diaphragm pump to pump out shower waste water, and an accumulator will make no difference.

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #7 on: June 02 2020, 16:47 »

The pump is a Jabsco 37202-2012 and is probably in the boat since 2006 and has a separate filter.

My Cruiser 37 came with a Whale Gulley IC system to pump out the shower tray.  It's completely automatic, with a sensor in the shower drain to detect when water is present.  It's relatively quiet, but there's some inevitable slurping noise as the pump operates. It doesn't need a filter.  If your pump is 14 years old, you might consider replacing it.

https://www.whalepumps.com/Marine/product.aspx?Category_ID=10000&Product_ID=10039&FriendlyID=Gulley-IC

Tris

• Swab
« Reply #8 on: June 04 2020, 11:02 »
Thanks.... this is looking good!
We will consider all the possibilities.

Coletta