Author Topic: Sail dimensions for 2004 Bavaria 49  (Read 1095 times)

TASL116

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 49
  • Boat Year: 2004
Sail dimensions for 2004 Bavaria 49
« on: May 25 2020, 15:19 »
My headsail was badly damaged, and I didn’t measure it before throwing it out. My manuals only list the size in sq meters. To purchase a new one I need to know the LUFF, LEECH, and FOOT dimensions.
I plan to get a Genoa first then possibly a jib. Additionally, it will be put on a Furlex 400 S, so if you know the attachment type that would be helpful as well. Thank you!!!

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Sail dimensions for 2004 Bavaria 49
« Reply #1 on: May 25 2020, 20:53 »
You don't say where you are going to buy your new sail, but any decent sailmaker will have the dimensions of the boat, or on their websites will be a form for doing your own measurements. A good sailmaker will ask you what your sailing pattern is so that he can advise the best type of sail and material to suit your needs and budget. He will also know the correct size tape for your furler.

A direct replacement for the original is not necessarily the way to go for a replacement. The original genoa will have a big overlap, probably 130% but today the trend is for smaller overlaps and use of lighter sails for off wind work. A smaller overlap sail performs better when reefed, reducing the need to have a dedicated smaller working sail. Probably better to spend the money on a smaller genoa and add an offwind sail to compensate for the loss of area for offwind sailing.