Author Topic: Bavaria 38 CC Ocean +ve and -ve  (Read 6002 times)

AB1707

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 1997
Bavaria 38 CC Ocean +ve and -ve
« on: March 23 2013, 21:20 »
Hi all,

My wife and I are looking to go liveaboard in the next 12 months. We have spent a lot of time considering different yachts and characteristics and now believe the best choice for us is the Bavaria 38CC Ocean.

We intend circumnavigating the UK, then down through Brittany & Biscay before exploring the Med slowly

I'd like some feedback from people who've owned and sailed these yachts and also any particular faults to look out for.

Thanks in advance

Adam

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Bavaria 38 CC Ocean +ve and -ve
« Reply #1 on: March 24 2013, 00:02 »
Not owned or sailed, but looked at several when thinking to buy. Probably one of the best boats Bavaria built. Nothing specific to look for. The usual things for boats of this age that any surveyor will pick up. Rudder bearings need checking but problems show in stiffness and relatively easily fixed. Teak decks a bit of a mixed blessing. They are glued on teak strips on ply and can be expensive to renovate if they have started to lift. Most of the fittings are good quality and well sized. Interior lights are not very good but easily replaced. Cooker is not the best, but is likely to have been replaced by now. Choice of replacement is limited by the height of the cutout.

Good luck with your search.

MikeGowland

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #2 on: March 25 2013, 21:24 »
Hi Adam

Owed our 38CC for the past 6 yrs and love it. Good all round cruising yacht and handles well in all manner of different conditions and sea states. Comfortable and well fitted out. Over the last 12 months we've replaced the teak decks with Permateek, the oven, aft cabin mattress with a sprung one and fitted a bow thruster. We intend to sail off to the Med in a couple of years but for now we berth her in Holland.

Things to watch out for - in mast furling can be a pain, especially as ours has vertical batons, ditto on steering but can be eased with Fairy Liquid!

Other than the above, its a great boat and I would recommend it to anyone. Ours has a 50hp Volvo Penta and provided you look after it and keep on top of the service and routine checks, it will look after you. I've also changed the fixed 3 blade prop for a featherstream one.

If you want more info contact me.

Mike

Robert Spikins

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria ocean 38
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #3 on: May 13 2013, 22:49 »
I purchased my Ocean new in 1999, it has to be one of the best cruising boats about for the money. There has never been one fault with the boat, it's well built and very comfortable at sea and in harbour. I still own it and it is fully loaded with all extras to make this a fantastic yacht. I only use it for one to two months a year in fact it's only been in the open air for a total of 2years three months otherwise it's kept in a climate controlled shed in Holland where I have always kept her since I purchased her new in Holland. The teak decks are still like new.
Fantastic boat if you can find one that's been well looked after. There are many for sale in and around the Med, but the sun does do a lot of damage. If you need a further info do contact me.
Robert

Kaptajnen

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 38 Ocean CC
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #4 on: May 30 2013, 17:57 »
We are the second owners of a 38 CC Ocean ( Hull 380 - built in 1999). I can second the positive comments above. The boat still looks "like new" in spite of being exposed to the elements year-round here in the Panic Northwest (Seattle).

We have replaced/ repaired the following major items:
Lofrans Kobra Windlass, Macerator pump, Battery Charger, Alternator. Also dealt with pesky leaks from Lifeline Stansions. The Espar heater had problems with the mediocre bio- diesel fuel available locally, so we installed a small 5 gallon tank in the starboard Lazarette and use that to provide Kerosene to the heater - it now works perfectly. We added a large propane locker on the aft superstructure and installed a propane fueled water heater underneath the chart table seat.

We have cruised in all kinds of weather and the boat is reliable and comfortable for cruising...the interior looks great with the superb wood fittings... And the access to the engine room is convenient with the large doors making maintenance of the Volvo Penta engine easy.

Probably the best boat ever manufactured by Bavaria - a classic! :tbu