Author Topic: cruiser 37 bow roller and light weather sail  (Read 1820 times)

solwaycruiser

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
cruiser 37 bow roller and light weather sail
« on: April 20 2020, 20:09 »
Hi Folks,
I have a Cruiser 37 2014. Two questions about changes I would like to make.

1. To be able to leave her on a visitors/ commercial mooring, and a good idea anyway, is to be able to pin the mooring strop/ riser on the roller so that it can't jump out in bouncy conditions. The standard single roller does not come so equipped. Has anybody modified one to do this ?

2. I am also thinking about adding a light weather sail on a removable roller set up. Has anybody done that? Any suggestions welcome.

It may be that the 2 issues can be resolved together, not sure. Appreciate any ideas. Thanks.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: cruiser 37 bow roller and light weather sail
« Reply #1 on: April 20 2020, 23:12 »
The bow roller on my B36(2002) has a transverse pin that goes through the two side plates and which is located right at the aft end the bow roller. I have had my boat on a swinging mooring throughout the season from April to October each year since 2012 in Holyhead harbour in North Wales. Up to now the mooring had only a small spherical buoy to mark its location, and which was lifted onboard where it stayed all the while the boat was moored. Sea conditions within the harbour can get quite lumpy, particularly during strong north easterlies, but that transverse pin has helped ensure the mooring remained in place at all times. Note, the anchor has always been removed from the bow roller prior to mooring the boat, and was stored on the port side out of the way of the rope from the mooring all the while the boat remained on the swinging mooring. This ensured that the mooring rope itself was not damaged due to chafe while the boat remained on the mooring.

In order to minimise any side thrust on the bow roller the mooring rope, which was secured primarily to the starboard side focsle mooring cleat, was also supplemented with a separate rope taken from the port mooring cleat and around the mooring rope to pull the mooring rope to the centre line rather like a “Y” shape set up.

As for a removable roller, again the transverse pin referred to has been used to hold an ATN tacker in place for use with a cruising chute during light winds and has been managed during single handed sailing.

Sorry, I have no photos currently available to include with this posting.

solwaycruiser

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: cruiser 37 bow roller and light weather sail
« Reply #2 on: April 20 2020, 23:55 »
Thanks for the reply.
Quote -
In order to minimise any side thrust on the bow roller the mooring rope, which was secured primarily to the starboard side focsle mooring cleat, was also supplemented with a separate rope taken from the port mooring cleat and around the mooring rope to pull the mooring rope to the centre line rather like a “Y” shape set up.

Exactly what I have done on previous boats and will do again. No pin option as yet on this boat but sure it can be sorted.

Quote -As for a removable roller, again the transverse pin referred to has been used to hold an ATN tacker in place for use with a cruising chute during light winds and has been managed during single handed sailing.

Had a very quick look and looks interesting. Will investigate further.#

Thanks