Author Topic: Fenders  (Read 2625 times)

Stevie H

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36 Holiday
  • Boat Year: 2000
Fenders
« on: March 29 2020, 23:20 »
This a bit of a basic question but perhaps reflects that lockdown is starting to get to me!

The selection of fenders I inherited with my B36 2000 have reached the end of their life.

Looking at the usual manufacturers websites there is some difference in recommended sizes so on the basis there is no substitute for experience I wondered what others have found to work best in terms of diameter and length.

I also have a total of 8 currently, which seems a bit excessive so again wondered what others carry.

Boat lives on a pontoon with lock access to the marina.

Thanks in advance for any replies and keep safe.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Fenders
« Reply #1 on: March 30 2020, 11:43 »
Eight total. One big ball fender, two largeish fenders and the rest normal sized for our boat. Seems to work well and is the right amount for us - when med-mooring you really want 4 per side.

When underway, we tie them to the transom rail and they seem to not mind that.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: March 30 2020, 11:52 »
Eight total. One big ball fender, two largeish fenders and the rest normal sized for our boat. Seems to work well and is the right amount for us - when med-mooring you really want 4 per side.

When underway, we tie them to the transom rail and they seem to not mind that.

That's pretty much what I have too.

Clivert

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: March 30 2020, 14:28 »
Our 2001 34 is in Port Solent and we have six fenders which is ample.
We line up three either side for the lock unless we are first boat in.
When rafting we do not put fenders on the open side because the boat coming alongside will have fenders out and if we have them out too they get tangled.
On the pontoon we'll spread the load putting all six out.
When sailing they all stand upright in the third cabin ( otherwise known as the shed  ) as we don't like hanging on the stern rail .

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #4 on: March 30 2020, 16:40 »
I have 4 62*21cm and 2 70*24cm plus a flat fender useful if mooring stern to. A ball fender is also useful if you regularly spring off from a berth or as a roving fender for keeping away from other boats . A fender ladder can also be useful.

Stevie H

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36 Holiday
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #5 on: April 01 2020, 22:26 »
Thanks for all the replies. Think I'll go for 6 -2 larger for the bow and stern curve and 4 for the middle.

Stay safe, keep well.

Jeffatoms

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Ocean 38
  • Boat Year: 1998
« Reply #6 on: May 09 2020, 05:42 »
We have six Polyform G6's on our 38 footer.  Generally 3 per side.  They arent the heaviest duty available but have served us well for three years.  They are easy to store underway hanging three of them up high on the stern rail on each side.  We expect five years and will replace all six with the same.