Author Topic: Anybody think there going sailing this year  (Read 7983 times)

The Other Woman

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36 Holiday
  • Boat Year: 1999
Anybody think there going sailing this year
« on: March 19 2020, 16:16 »
Hi all
I am open to idea's.
Where do you think we can go if we are not on lockdown.
Armchair sailor.
😭

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
Re: Anybody think there going sailing this year
« Reply #1 on: March 20 2020, 13:28 »
To a bay to anchor in isolation

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: March 20 2020, 15:37 »
Within national Borders most likely. Most of the Baltic states have closed even EU-borders.

Tommi
S/y Anniina

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
« Reply #3 on: March 21 2020, 14:14 »
Rural communities on the Scottish West Coast are now asking visitors NOT to visit, Tiree and Mull being just two examples,
They are very concerned that the local medical services could be overwhelmed .....So maybe our summer sailing will be somewhat local this year.
(and I believe some Welsh communities have also requested something similar)

The Other Woman

• Second Mate
« Reply #4 on: March 22 2020, 15:47 »
Hey thanks for the info, if we keep posting which marinas are closing it will help with are planning, having said that yes I realise we should phone first. If a lot close we might all meet up at the same marinas.  That's if we don't get locked down.
Armchair Sailor : >:(
Mick

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
Re: Anybody think they are going sailing this year
« Reply #5 on: March 22 2020, 20:23 »
With a lot of luck, maybe late in the season we can cruise around whichever country we're stuck in (Italy for us). Likely that borders to other countries may remain closed for longer. No need to hurry with getting the boat ready.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

elias

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #6 on: March 22 2020, 21:12 »
Greek coast and islands closed since yesterday ...

Ziffius

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #7 on: March 23 2020, 08:32 »
Stuck in Gouvia marina on Corfu, came out to re caulk the teak decks. Looks like I’ll have time to do lots of jobs on the boat. It has been wonderful weather until yesterday and now raining.

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: March 23 2020, 16:22 »
....So maybe our summer sailing will be somewhat local this year.
Did I really say that only two days ago.....?
Well, we've just arranged with our boatyard to keep the boat on its cradle for the duration of this crisis...however long that may be.

Clivert

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
« Reply #9 on: March 23 2020, 17:53 »
It'll be like old times for some of us oldies who remember life before marinas.
Plenty of anchorages to enjoy around the coast and harbours.
Looking forward to it

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: March 23 2020, 18:58 »
Looking forward to it
I assume your post is 'tongue in cheek'.
I think you would be rather unpleasantly surprised by the reaction of the 'locals' to a 'leisure yacht' turning up in their vicinity.
The welcome you would receive is likely to be extremely unfriendly..........Try to see it from their point of view....Bill

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #11 on: March 23 2020, 19:14 »
Looking forward to it
I assume your post is 'tongue in cheek'.
I think you would be rather unpleasantly surprised by the reaction of the 'locals' to a 'leisure yacht' turning up in their vicinity.
The welcome you would receive is likely to be extremely unfriendly..........Try to see it from their point of view....Bill

That does rather depend on what you actually do. One of the joys of anchoring is that you are not dependent on shoreside facilities if you are well organised. Even here on the south coast you could easily spend a week cruising and anchoring every night - although that may not be the case if everybody shifts from marina stops to anchoring. My boat stays in all year round and I shall keep it ready to go for when restrictions on movements are lifted, although in fact I could drive the 15 minutes to the boat, set off and have a good sail around without going near another person. However, I am extra restricted on account of my kidney transplant and immuno supressant drugs and my family might not approve!

Like (almost) everyone else I have no control over how things develop (other than trying to avoid getting infected) so will just have to wait and see.

The Other Woman

• Second Mate
« Reply #12 on: March 23 2020, 20:59 »
Hi clivert
You will now have heard that your not going sailing, news tonight from are Prime minister. But this will probably not apply to you, because if you can remember sailing before marinas you must be around 70 therefore you should be self isolating for 12 weeks.

Symphony I read your articles as they are always well thought out and of interest, I am sorry you have a medical problem and will now have now been put back by this virus, don't take chances just spend more time writing your reports on here. Good luck👍

Jet-et-Ross
My boat is on my trailer the only problem is don't think we will be allowed to work on them so sad really as we are all getting older and willing to work on them it does keep us going😥
Armchair sailor we'll this year
Mick

Clivert

• Able Seaman
« Reply #13 on: March 23 2020, 21:12 »
Our boat stays in all year round because I don't like anti fouling etc in the winter ( cold hands, cold feet and constantly dripping nose ). Much easier in the spring/ summer when the weather is warmer and the yards are half empty.
I can't think of a better way of self isolating than being at anchor or even on a mooring buoy well away from everyone else.
Wake up in the morning in a quit anchorage listening to the birds, just magic.
Supposed to be moving to a new mooring next week.
Guess I will have to sort something out now.
Roll on summer. Still much to enjoy.⛵️😊

diverphil

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 33 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #14 on: March 24 2020, 07:36 »
we have just got back from Barra in the Hebrides on Sunday , Cal mac ferry's  have stopped taking any more bookings until July, I think we may have been on one of the last flights out from Barra as the staff at the runway were suggesting they may move to medical only flights soon.
looks like the islands that way are going to lockdown, they do not have the medical resources to cope if anything goes big out there.   

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
« Reply #15 on: March 24 2020, 09:35 »
Hi diverphil.
 As a local from a Scottish West Coast island, now a pensioner, the lockdown you mention is fully supported by all who live and work in these remote places.
Because you are quite correct, our medical cover and the resources available are limited to the skill and dedication of 2 GP's and a couple of nurses, so if an emergency occurs then, well it can be quite a problem.

This is something we all have to understand, Folk have multiple jobs and we need to keep working, the livestock wont feed itself, the farmed fish need tending, ferries need to still run etc. 
e.g. In the past I've worked the livestock, worked fishfarm boats, Driven local taxis, supplied animal feedstuff and when younger, flew air-taxis on the mainland for a time, everybody is in the same boat so to speak, and injures are unfortunately common.
(incidentally, these days more kayakers/divers are being lost than fishermen...sign of the times)
We also have an ageing population.

So if Covid-19 became endemic locally, then there wouldn't be the spare medical capacity to cope, the casualty rate could be a serious problem.
So, when when I suggest that a visiting yacht from parts unknown would be extremely unwelcome, it's because it could be a potential 'plague ship', so please nobody take offence if we ask the yachties to stay at home in the meantime...You'll be very welcome when it's over....

diverphil

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 33 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #16 on: March 24 2020, 16:59 »
we had an email yesterday that pwhelli marina is closed, also hard standing locked. no access for anyone.

Symphony

• Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: March 24 2020, 17:24 »
Same with our clubhouse and marina. Review in 3 weeks.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #18 on: March 25 2020, 07:16 »
we had an email yesterday that pwhelli marina is closed, also hard standing locked. no access for anyone.

And Caernarfon Marina as well, both are operated by the local councils. In addition ABC Powermarine boatyard at Beaumaris is in lockdown, so no boat lift in or out. I’m waiting to hear whether Holyhead Sailing Club moorings within Holyhead harbour will be available or not, but the answer is likely to be not, because as much as anything getting there, or in fact to any Marina or mooring anywhere else, would most likely not be considered to be essential travel. Holyhead Marina continues to remain very largely out of use following the winter storm early in 2018 except for a very limited number (three I think) pontoons where temporary berthing may be possible so long as someone remains onboard. Also, and similarly Jen et Ross comment regarding the coastal areas of Scotland, an Anglesey councillor very recently stated that the island of Anglesey was closed, and for the very same reasons.

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
« Reply #19 on: March 28 2020, 11:40 »
If it's of any interest (and you have a computer), have a look at 'eSail'. It's a sailing simulator and, whilst still new and being developed, the weather/waves/anchoring/boat physics is really quite immersing (ahem). It's a simulator rather than a game but is great fun, there's lots to explore and it's cheap. Reviewed very well last year in PBO and YM and has been developed further since then.

Figaro was due to lift out on Monday (postponed UFN) but at least I can still get my 'fix' whilst I'm stuck at home. Here's the link to the site - https://www.esailyachtsimulator.com/ . Have had occasion to talk to Chris, the developer, in the past and he's very enthusiastic and helpful so I suspect it'll be properly supported in the future.

Stay safe, everyone.

Best regards

Note: Plymouth's Sutton Harbour Office is closed and liveaboards asked to leave if possible, but, Thursday, QAB is still open.
ATB

Mark

Hobbit2

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 30
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #20 on: March 29 2020, 18:02 »
I wish that season 2020 would come but I doubt it.  In beginning travel within federal state on water was still allowed yet since yesterday notice to mariners out that all pleasure crafts not allowed to leave or enter any port in my federal state.  Germany baltic sea bay of Lübeck /Kiel /Flensburg. :'(

Yet I think a luxury problem if I look to other countries and peoples situation....

The Other Woman

• Second Mate
« Reply #21 on: May 11 2020, 12:16 »
RYA .update May 10th

From Wednesday, 13 May unlimited outdoor activity will be permitted in England, and we understand that this will include all forms of boating. The Prime Minister also indicated that people would be permitted to travel to other destinations in order to exercise. Any activity will still need to be alone or with members of a single household, and social distancing must be followed at all times.😀

In Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, the return to boating has not yet been confirmed. We will continue to work with our Home Country colleagues to monitor the situation and to lobby for a responsible and safe return for boaters in all parts of the UK😂
Enjoy
Mick

Kibo

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #22 on: May 13 2020, 01:58 »
Sailing on the Great Lakes will be open. We can launch boats now and can hopefully sail to other marinas soon.....
Ian
SV Kibo, 2014 Bavaria Vision 46

artemis

• First Mate
« Reply #23 on: May 13 2020, 09:21 »
Morning

I'm working overseas I believe you will have to self isolate when you enter the UK from Non European countries , I will not be returning till Mid to end July so can I (If) sailing is open in Scotland self Isolate on my boat and go to anchorages!!

Mike
Artemis

Symphony

• Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: May 13 2020, 11:15 »
Not sure the quarantine measures will actually happen as already there is a deal with France and the common travel area (Ireland, CIs and IoM) that it will not apply to them. This makes universal application difficult and of course opens up loopholes, particularly if the Europe lifts restrictions.

On a more positive note, clubs and marinas are already opening up. From today our club will allow access to boats for maintenance and preparation for launching. Haul out and launching has already started. It is expected that there will be guidance from govt by the end of the week on recreational sailing. There is currently a barrier across our marina entrance and the expectation is that this will be removed either Friday or Monday to allow boats out provided they are used in line with the guidance. This of course only applies in England, although I see that Wales has already backtracked and allowed golf courses to open. I wonder how long the devolved administrations will hold out on their independent courses.

Let's hope the good weather continues.