Author Topic: algon  (Read 3255 times)

diverphil

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 33 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
algon
« on: February 24 2020, 08:41 »
has anyone used algon to help hold back the forming of the dreaded green stuff on the deck whist the boat is out of the water over winter and you cant get to it to wash down for a couple of months.
I know from previous experience it works on caravans which are made of a similar grp over wood laminate panels ?

https://algonorganics.co.uk/media/wysiwyg/alon-leaflet.pdf#/

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: algon
« Reply #1 on: February 24 2020, 11:45 »
Similar to Patio Magic except it claims to be "organic", but no information as to what is actually in it. May or may not be more effective. I have used patio cleaners to clear the green stuff on decks, teak and spray hood. Not convinced it is better than alternatives, although was OK on the spray hood. Wessex Teak Cleaner better for teak and simple household cleaner like Cif works well for removing the green. Not really tried a patio cleaner as a preventative, but no harm in using it on decks.

diverphil

• Able Seaman
« Reply #2 on: February 24 2020, 13:39 »
as you probably guessed, we only got the boat at the end of last year so am still working out what works to make life simpler. which jobs are must do's and what can be left till later :) have done sail drive gaiter and g/box oil change, next time down I hope to get the antifoul done then at least I can get it back in the water. I just noticed a bit of green starting on the deck last time down (new years day).

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: February 24 2020, 13:51 »
I usually squirt Cif on the deck, leave it for a bit and then blast with a pressure washer. The worst bit is the lines that go from the mast and across the deck to the cockpit. You don't realise how dirty they are until you start cleaning.

The Other Woman

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36 Holiday
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #4 on: February 24 2020, 20:28 »
Hi all

Try a search for bak 50 its a fungicide bactericide concentrate about £18:00 for 2.5lt  dilution rate!

https://cleantech-westmids.co.uk/product/bac-50-biocide-5-litres

Works great on sprayhoods ,Wood decks, fences and patios used it for years.

Good luck you will like it.
Mick

Harveyhall

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 36 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #5 on: March 01 2020, 04:43 »
Our boat lives on the west coast of Canada.  Monthly I lightly spray vinegar on the deck and lines to stop green growth. Anything that is green, will turn black and washes off with the rain for the most part. I haven’t used it on Sunbrella or similar dodger material however.

Spray a light coat when the deck is dry. No need to do anything with it.  We are using it on the docks at the yacht club as an less toxic solution to kill grass growing where dirt is trapped between seams of decking.

Bertie1972

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #6 on: March 02 2020, 16:52 »
Diverphil

After 18 years of using a pressure washer to clean my Westerly deck , a couple of years ago I cleaned my then new to me Bav (2006) deck the same way - and produced pinholes in the tops of the relief bits.  Fortunately only the chain locker and bathing ladder lids.

Bewildered, I searched the PBO forum and found it's a known consequence of holding the pressure lance too close to this sort of raised refief surface.

I'm sure most owners on here know this already but posting in case it might save another owner a similar experience.  I won't bore you with how I filled them in again...

diverphil

• Able Seaman
« Reply #7 on: March 10 2020, 10:50 »
ours is the same age as yours, thanks for the warning as I was going to pressure wash when I go next time, how close did you get with the nozzle to take the tops off ?

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #8 on: March 10 2020, 20:04 »
When pressure washing the deck and hull, I use a patio cleaner lance with a large circular head with two rotating nozzles. Apart from being very quick, it does an excellent job and with rotating nozzles the jets are not concentrated on a single spot for any length of time. The best kind of nozzle is one where the rotating head can swivel to different angles, rather than a fixed head which can dictate where you have to stand in order to clean a particular area.

Bertie1972

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #9 on: March 11 2020, 19:15 »
ours is the same age as yours, thanks for the warning as I was going to pressure wash when I go next time, how close did you get with the nozzle to take the tops off ?

About 3" away I think.  It didn't take the tops off exactly, just created a pin hole in the top of each raised dimple (for want of the correct term). 

Others on these forums will know more about how they are formed in the factory; it seems the dimples (on the lids I experienced the problem with) were hollow for a millimetre or more immediately below their gelcoat peaks. 

Thankfully my decks weren't as delicate - otherwise I'd still be filling the holes two years later  :)

Salty's method with a patio cleaner seems much safer.

SV Chill

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #10 on: May 09 2020, 09:30 »
Hi Everyone, Bav44. I replaced my thermostat with the Chinese unit being discussed. It’s been around 5 years now. V isn’t an issue. I’m a liveaboard and my voltage ranges 13.7v to 12.2v mostly.
Placing the sensor near, but not behind the evaporator (or my chill plate) works very well. Placing it behind (as mentioned) allows it to freeze occasionally. None of them work well there.
And, also as mentioned, adding insulation reduces power consumption enormously.
Reducing the temp range on the electronic thermostat also reduced power consumption