Author Topic: Holding tank installation on 1998 Bavaria 38 ocean cc  (Read 2067 times)

Tangaroa2288

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 ocean
  • Boat Year: 1998
Holding tank installation on 1998 Bavaria 38 ocean cc
« on: February 18 2020, 13:46 »
we have purchased a 1998 - bavaria ocean 38 - Center cockpit sailboat which just has a manual head and our preference is to install a compost toilet however, due to space limitations (and without a major re-configuration of bathroom) we have decided best option is to add a holding tank.
Question:
1.  has anyone installed a holding tank in their  1998 Bavaria  head ?
2. Can you advise make /model used ?
3. Do you have any drawings you’d be willing to share ?

We are presently sailing in the Caribbean and would like to have holding  tank installed over the next couple of months if possible.
Any assistance - info is appreciated
Kind regards
Joseph

heywoodp

• Second Mate
  • Bavaria 38 Ocean 2000
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Ocean 38
  • Boat Year: 2000
Re: Holding tank installation on 1998 Bavaria 38 ocean cc
« Reply #1 on: February 18 2020, 20:57 »
I have the same model. Mine came fitted with a stainless holding tank when the boat came to me some 5 years ago. There were a couple of pinhole leaks in it, Yuk so I had another plastic tank made that fitted in the same location. This is in the engine compartment above the engine. I'm not at the boat till April so cannot give any dimensions etc but if you have any questions then ask away

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: February 19 2020, 09:09 »
I'm not sure if this is possible on the 38, but on the 40 Ocean, the holding tank is a flat plastic tank behind the shower wall (between it and the outer hull). This works well for gravity draining and a deck pumpout fitting right above.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: February 19 2020, 23:24 »
There are broadly two types of holding tank systems. one is a fully pumped system where the tank is located outside the toilet compartment, usually under a bunk and the toilet outlet is sent to the tank via a Y valve which allows you to either pump direct overboard or into the tank. The waste is removed from the tank either by its own pump through a seacock or through a deck fitting. The second and now more common is a gravity tank such as Yngmar describes. This is much easy and simpler to fit, although it usually requires a custom made tank to fit the space available. On some aft cockpit Bavarias you can also fit a tank in a cockpit locker aft of the toilet compartment but this is not an option on your boat. It may be possible to fit a gravity tank in the engine compartment as heywoodp describes if you can run the 38mm pipes to it from the toilet and back to the seacock. You may find you have less space restriction this way and can use a much cheaper standard moulded tank. The downside of this location is that your deck pumpout and vent will probably have to be in the cockpit rather than on the side deck and hull topside as is normal with tanks located in the toilet compartment.

Avoid metal tanks. Plastic is far superior, either rotary moulded as many standard tanks are or welded fabricated tanks for a custom type. The expert on tank design and manufacture in the UK is www.tek-tanks.com who sell either a range of fixed size tanks or will manufacture tanks for your specific requirements. There is excellent information on the site about holding tank systems and tank design. You may well find they have already made a tank for your model boat.

Google "holding tanks for boats" and you will a wide range of information and alternate suppliers.

Jeffatoms

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Ocean 38
« Reply #4 on: March 30 2020, 04:54 »
 We have a 1998 Bavaria 38 Ocean - Love it - that has what we understand to be the North American standard holding talk.  As you can see, its mounted above the engine behind the shower stall.  It measures 21.5 inches x 21.5 inches by 8.5 inches deep.  My guess is that it hold 20 gallons which 99% of the time equals 7 days..never 8 days!  Try going 8 days once and you will never try it again, trust me.  All of our hoses are original and should have been replaced years ago.  The rule according to a surveyor friend is every 5 years and you'll never notice its there.

Also, discharge of the holding tank is through deck pumpout, starboard midship or downward via seacock just aft of saildrive.

You can see in photo everything enters the top and exits the bottom via both gravity and suction.  To the far right is the three way valve directing the contents either up and out or down and out.  On the "down and out" track there is an in-line Whale manual bilge pump to get it going and after a few priming pumps gravity and siphon take over.

Borealis

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bav. 41 Exclusive
« Reply #5 on: March 31 2020, 21:19 »
Hi I not sure that it is space enough in the ocean, but my holding tank is placed in aft room with a manual pump.
I managed to change it for two years ago, when my stainless steel tank was not holding water. I bought a new one in plastic.
The boat is a 98 41 exclusive, in the manual for the boat the location for the holding tank was under  the forward  bench in the saloon.