Author Topic: Removing Deck Caulking  (Read 3148 times)

Sootydog

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 39 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2008
Removing Deck Caulking
« on: February 14 2020, 17:32 »
Does anyone have experience of removing the teak deck caulking with a multi-tool.  I was looking at "J" section blades but cant decide on which blade width to buy.

Also, I'm thinking of replacing the caulking with CT1.  The CT1 demos on Youtube look promising and its relatively cheap and easy to get hold of in large quantities, plus it doesnt seem to "go off" quickly in the tube.  Again, any experiences of CT1 as a caulking on the forum.

Many Thanks.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Removing Deck Caulking
« Reply #1 on: February 15 2020, 00:45 »
CT1 is not suitable for caulking - it is a modified polymer adhesive sealant. The correct products to use are those specifically designed for the job such as Sikaflex 290 or TDS SIS 440. Although these are typically twice the price of CT1 it is worth it as you only want to do this horrible job once! Either product is freely available from chandlers.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: February 15 2020, 09:11 »
You will want a product designed for the job, and you should steer well clear of PU based products (Sika) as they don't last too well in the sun. TDS-SIS 440 is the proven goop for the job. Slightly cheaper alternatives are also available, depending on where you are, for example here in Italy you can get Fratelli Zucchini MS Deck Caulking.

I used a thin, sharp knife to detach the old caulking from the sides of the groove and then a sharpened screwdriver of the right width to chisel out the bottom.

Our teak deck is going to come off in a year or two though, as it has annoyed me enough and will be replaced with something more practical that is gentler on the knees >:(
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Jeff Jones

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #3 on: February 15 2020, 18:21 »
no experience of using CT1 for chaulking... I do love CT1 of certain jobs....just don't ever use it on something you might want to get apart or remove in the future.

Rampage

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
« Reply #4 on: February 15 2020, 21:57 »
I’ve removed the caulking using https://fein.com/en_us/multi-tools/accessories/cutting-scraping/cutter-blade-order-no-6-39-03-200-21-0/ in a multi tool.  Use a slow speed setting on the tool, otherwise it’s a boring but comparatively easy job.

Sootydog

• First Mate
« Reply #5 on: February 16 2020, 17:08 »
Rampage, thats the tool i want to buy. Can you remember the width that you used?

Rampage

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
« Reply #6 on: February 17 2020, 12:52 »
The tools on the boat and the boats in Greece......  but I’m pretty sure it was 4mm.

Ziffius

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #7 on: February 18 2020, 13:48 »
I am off to Greece early much to do the caulking on my Bav39. Fein Multitalent and caulking blade 4mm on its way out there now. I hope thats the right size for mine. I plan on using TDS SIS440. Some of seams abutting the coach roof are only 2mm - poorly laid teak tecks!! but the rest are 4 or 5mm I think.

Ziffius

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: March 23 2020, 08:42 »
Quarter of the way through recaulking, I would have given up without the fein multitalen using the 4mm blade as well as the semi circular tile grinding semi circular tool. Only issue I have is the TDS, it seems to like coming out of the plunger end as well as the spout. It makes a real mess of the caulk gun. Found not to leave a part used tube - I finish the tube off every time. Tried both the electric and manual gun and same issues and the tubes aren’t cold.

Had I removed more of the caulking before ordering the TDS I might have decided to rip the whole deck off as there is only about 2mm of teak left in a lot of places where it is laid on the ply backing.

Sootydog

• First Mate
« Reply #9 on: March 24 2020, 13:36 »
Ziffius, thanks for the update.  I was going to have a go at this job this season but it now looks like its delayed for a year.  Please post more of your experiences re deck caulking (some pics would be nice).  I am interested to know how many feet of caulking per tube of sealant and how you are dealing with overspill and raised cured sealant.  Do you think the job could be done in stages over several seasons?  Keep going and best of luck.

Ziffius

• Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: March 27 2020, 14:44 »
Raining here so caulking on hold. So far apart from the fancy pattern on the bow I have been masking up both sides of the seam then after caulking with a bit of overfill, dragging a putty knife along to flatten seam and make sure it has been filled. If there is the right amount of overfill the the seam stands fractionally proud - too little overfill End’s up with a slight concave finish. After about 40 mins I pull the masking tape up at an angle. Then start cursing when I put my foot or hand down on a freshly done seam!!! I’ve learnt to do small sections at a time.
TDS will bond with cured TDS so you can do the deck in stages. Where I have put my foot in it I can mask it off when cured and clean with acetone and fill the dents in the seam. I’ll measure up how far a tube goes next time I do some but it is doesn’t go as far as I had hoped - a fair amount often ends up out the back making a right mess of the caulking gun.

You tube shows the job being done without masking tape, a putty knife is used as described the once cured a scraper blade is used to trim the height of the seam then an orbital sander used to make a beautiful finish. There isn’t enough teak on my deck to sand it down except at the bow where the fancy pattern is - I had to sand with triangular sanding tool for my multitalent and it was hard work.

Ziffius

• Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: March 27 2020, 14:49 »
Masked up area ready, then it rained. Maybe 1 tube will do this with a bit left.

Ziffius

• Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: March 28 2020, 09:39 »
Just used a tube to do this section, bear in mind the seams vary from 5 to as little as 2 mm depth in places. So one tube did 7m of seams - doesn’t look much!
That’s a size 13 shoe - 13 inches