Author Topic: Fin style evaporators  (Read 1605 times)

Alphadug

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Vision 42
  • Boat Year: 2015
Fin style evaporators
« on: January 15 2020, 00:07 »
Hi, I'm looking for opinions on whether a fin style evaporator ( Isotherm VE150) is better or worse than the standard flat plate style. I'm going to replace the fin evaporator in my 2015 V42 due to leaks in the heat exchange tubing. Thoughts anyone?

Thanks,
Doug

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Fin style evaporators
« Reply #1 on: January 15 2020, 00:51 »
Several years ago the tubing to the refrigerator flat plate cooling element on my B36(2002) also developed a leak, though I didn’t know that at the time. All I knew was that it didn’t cool the refrigerator. Also as there wasn’t a firm of refrigeration engineers anywhere within thirty five miles, I removed the refrigeration system from the boat and took it to a firm near to where I live. They examined it and found that a small pin hole leak had occurred in the tubing where vibration had caused it to chafe against part of the woodwork on the boat. They soldered over the leak, recharged the refrigeration gas and warned me that it might not last,
The system was  then reinstalled on the boat with copious amounts of foam padding to prevent the tubes from chafing again, and the system was put back into use.
That was about five years ago, and refrigerator still works fine. The cost for the repair and re-gassing came to about £180 back then, and was considerably less money than buying a new cooling system. So it might be worth having refrigeration engineers take a look at your system.
To take the system out, it was necessary to undo the large connection between the pipe work to the cooling plate and where that connects to the pipes from the compressor. This connection is self sealing, although inevitably you will lose a small amount of refrigeration gas to atmosphere.
It can be a bit of a fiddly job because you won’t want to cause any damage to the tubing as you remove it, and the evaporator or cooling plate and it’s end of the tube, has to be withdrawn from inside the refrigerator itself, and subsequently refitted from there.

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #2 on: January 15 2020, 10:17 »
I have to replace my fridge this year so took a visit to Penquin Engineering in Havent UK.  Had a talk with their senior engineer on the merits of compressors and cool plates.
The compressors are mostly the same coming from Germany and are bullet proof, the main failure mode is pipework,  connections,  and cool plate.

The difference between flat plate and fan assisted fins is  manufacturing and sales economics, because the fan assisted unit can cover significantly more fridge size options where as the flat plate needs to be capacity  and shape driven.

I have a Bavaria 38 so I am changing my fin system out for a plate but need to know the the fridge wall size if there is some one out there.

Penquin convinced me the plate was the better option and I am buying the FM 100 with a MOD 130 F plate, this I am told is the most economic unit for me.

Odysseus
Bav 38

Odysseus

Kibo

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #3 on: January 18 2020, 16:45 »
I have a V46 2014. I had a plate put in my fridge and it is soo much better. Plate round three sides of the outboard compartment and across the back of the inboard compartment. I can make ice in the bottom outboard corners of the fridge. In the Caribbean.....

See photos  As you can see ice builds up on the plates - we are about due a minor defrost. Simply turn the fridge off for about 30 mins and the ice drops off. If its clean you can use it for drinks...  I make ice in zip lock bags in the corners of the main part as you ay be able to see.
Ian
SV Kibo, 2014 Bavaria Vision 46