Author Topic: Removing and replacing 12V rocker breaker (1998)  (Read 1581 times)

Jeffatoms

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Ocean 38
  • Boat Year: 1998
Removing and replacing 12V rocker breaker (1998)
« on: January 14 2020, 18:09 »
Our propane stove or should I say, the solenoid controlling the propane leading to our propane stove failed the other day.  I incorrectly assumed that the 20 year old solenoid had failed so I bought a new one and while at it a new regulator.  After installing both and leak testing both, I returned to the galley and pushed the solenoid control button only to have it continue to flicker but not activate (no familiar audible click from the solenoid detected).

Then I did proper troubleshooting with my trusty Fluke multimeter to find out that I only had 5 VDC at the control switch.  This led me back to the breaker which was only sending 5VDC. Weird, I know but the problem was now isolated.

Fortunately I had a spare unused breaker to which I moved the lead and the stove's new solenoid began working as expected.

My problem now is how to fix/replace/swap both what appears to be a Philippi breaker rocker and the actual breaker itself? I had a tough time trying to remove the problematic breaker and rather than break it, leaving a gaping hole, I turn to you, my Bavaria community.

Next is where do I buy these replacements?  Are they available in the US?  I looked on SVB24.com and didnt find them.

Thanks for any helpful ideas!
Jeff
BAV 38 Ocean
S/V Zephyrus

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Removing and replacing 12V rocker breaker (1998)
« Reply #1 on: January 14 2020, 19:48 »
None of the panels I know have philippi brand breakers or switches. Those are all standard components, often Carling, sometimes ITE ETA or others. You should be able to extract one without damaging it (show us a photo of what you've got and we can probably tell you how to extract it). Then it should be just a matter of reading the label to identify what it is.

Mine were also readable with a flashlight and dentist mirror as there are small gaps between them.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Jeffatoms

• Able Seaman
« Reply #2 on: January 15 2020, 05:15 »
Great tip; it worked.

I see image of panel.  These mini rockers are SPST 21mm x 15mm.  Quite small!  It turns out, with a chart magnifier I could make out what it is, which is a Marquardt 1801.1102.  With that key knowledge I found them at Spemco.com for $2.98 US each plus shipping.  I ordered three to have a couple spares - cheap insurance for the next ones to go out.

https://spemco.com/1801-1102-marquardt-miniature-single-pole-on-off-rocker-switch/

Jeffatoms

• Able Seaman
« Reply #3 on: January 17 2020, 22:45 »
And here they are...