Author Topic: Cockpit teak.  (Read 1527 times)

Laysula

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 350 lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1994
Cockpit teak.
« on: January 12 2020, 17:27 »
Laysula is a 1993 350 Lagoon with teak face ply seats in the cockpit. These are looking very tired now and we intend to replace the teak. I have sourced a supplier who will make up the panels in new teak, but the unknown factor is the thickness of the teak. I don't want to start removing the old teak until I get the new teak but I am unsure of what thickness that I need. Has anyone done this job or does anyone know what the thickness is?
regards
Steve

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Cockpit teak.
« Reply #1 on: January 12 2020, 18:52 »
If push comes to shove and you still don’t have an answer to your question, I would drill down through one of the teak and grp locker lids within the cockpit area using a small drill, and drilling through one of the black mastic  lines between adjacent planks. This would enable you to use something like a tyre tread thickness gauge to measure the overall thickness. Then with some careful manipulation of the probe on the gauge and and visual inspection through the underside of the hole in the locker lid you should be able to get a pretty good idea of the teak/plywood thickness, and subtracting one from the other will provide the grp thickness. Refilling the hole should then be a simple task with some white gelcoat on the grp side and black mastic on the upper side. Using a small drill and drilling from the top should ensure that you only take out material from the mastic line, and not from the wood surrounding.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: January 12 2020, 19:34 »
Further to Salty's suggestion, cut a plug of the teak/ply/GRP using a 10mm hole saw will tell you exactly what thickness you need to keep the teak at the same level or probably slightly above the surrounding mouldings. I expect the total thickness will be about 8 mm - 5 mm ply and 3mm teak.

Be aware it is a tough job to remove the old teak and the adhesive to get back to clean GRP that the new teak will stick to. Fitting the new panels will be the easy part of the job, although the curved seats at the rear may be a bit challenging.

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: January 13 2020, 09:54 »
Why not just fit fake teak. It' far nicer to sit on and walk on.