Author Topic: Blowing fuses auto pilot drive  (Read 2082 times)

Club 56

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Vision 42
  • Boat Year: 2013
Blowing fuses auto pilot drive
« on: January 03 2020, 03:50 »
Vision 42. 2013 Model

Recent issue of the Garmin/Lewmar auto pilot blowing fuses.
Looking at some earlier posts it’s a known issue.

Does anyone have some updates on their solutions.
Also if it’s a clutch replacement or the whole unit.

I hope the tyranny of distances ( Australia) will not add to the issue!

Cheers
Keith
Club 56

Kibo

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: Blowing fuses auto pilot drive
« Reply #1 on: January 07 2020, 03:44 »
If you can get the clutch then that will do it but they are made to order in the UK. I had to buy a whole new unit shipped from Lewmar UK to Antigua because of time constraints.  I then also ordered a new clutch unit and repaired my existing unit so I have a spare. 
Ian
SV Kibo, 2014 Bavaria Vision 46

Club 56

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Vision 42
  • Boat Year: 2013
« Reply #2 on: January 09 2020, 22:35 »
Hi Ian

Thanks for your info.
Following your lead, ordered a whole new drive and clutch and will replace the clutch on the old one at my leisure.

Fortunately the Australian Lewmar agent keeps these units in stock here in Oz. 5 day delivery for me.
Still put a big dent in the boat budget!

Thanks for your input.

Cheers
Club 56

Kibo

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: January 10 2020, 01:28 »
Good to hear you have stock in Aus. Yep it blows a big hole in the budget but that’s what BOAT is Bring Out Another Thousand !!

At least we know what the problem is. I guess these clutches must have about a five year lifespan under decent use unfortunately   

Safe sailing
Ian

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #4 on: January 10 2020, 05:47 »
With the ingenuity of man, it always surprises me that they can’t come up with a once and for all cure for what is a well known problem. Do other manufacturers of autopilot systems have the same problems with clutch reliability? I think the answer is probably no they don’t, but maybe they have different problems. Perhaps it’s time for a good hard look at whose systems work reliably and whose don’t, and in consequence cost us shed loads of money to keep them in business.
It seems to me that the Garmin/Lewmar system deserves the 👎!!

Kibo

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: January 10 2020, 14:28 »
I agree Salty. Not fit for purpose would be my analysis of this system   Folks seem to talk highly of the JEFA systems but I’m not sure what the difference is. Anyone any comments ?

Lewmar don’t actually make the clutch unit. That is made in the UK by a company called Stephenson Gobin in Bishop Auckland.   I collected my new clutch from the factory last Spring to avoid shipping charges to the Caribbean.   I guess now I have a new unit and a spare unit I’m good for at least 8 years !!

What happened to the log of issues that, I think Impavidus was collaring and was going to write an article or summary of failures? Did he not complete that. I see the topic is still on this site but haven’t seen any collation or conclusions 
Ian

SofiaB

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2016
« Reply #6 on: February 25 2020, 03:42 »
Ian,

My 2016 Vision 46 has a Jefa drive. I assume Bavaria changed from a Lewmar autopilot in 2015 or 2016. Ive has issues with the rudder sensor but not drive. Is the Lewmar autopilot a drive unit; the Jefa system is a drive.
Cheers,  Stuart  (Sofia)

Kibo

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: February 25 2020, 15:50 »
Hi Stuart

Thanks. I assume Bavaria must have switched as you say. The Lewmar unit in my boat is a motor drive unit which turns a chain attached to the port wheel. The head controller is Garmin.

The Lewmar unit is built by Lewmar in the UK but the important bits like the electric motor and electromagnetic clutch units are outsourced. I rebuilt my original one by buying a separate new clutch as described above so now I have a complete spare drive unit so I’m not going to switch it out for Jefa at this point

Hope the winter isn’t too bad. Good luck for an early spring launch !
Ian