Author Topic: Cabin ventilation, solar?  (Read 3054 times)

HappyAfloat

• First Mate
    • www.happyafloat.com
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
Cabin ventilation, solar?
« on: January 02 2020, 09:33 »
Any success stories to share with regards to installing a solar extraction vent?  Or tips to increase ventilation?

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
Re: Cabin ventilation, solar?
« Reply #1 on: January 02 2020, 12:57 »
Yep.  I replaced the dorade vent on the coachroof with a solar vent set to extract, and I leave a couple of the aft cabin hatches on vent, and since then have had no black-spot at all and the boat doesn't smell musty when you first open it up any more.

HappyAfloat

• First Mate
    • www.happyafloat.com
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #2 on: January 02 2020, 15:43 »
Which make and model? Did you need to alter the coach roof?

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: January 02 2020, 21:42 »
Chinese vent from ebay. About £40.  I had to enlarge the hole in the coachroof as the solar vent is slightly larger than the dorade vent.

Taped a plastic bag over the inside of the hole and then used sanding wheels on a power drill.

geoff

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: 40 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #4 on: January 03 2020, 08:21 »
I have mounted a computer fan on a rectangle of acrylic plastic the same shape as a rutgerson  opening port. This just slips into the galley/ cockpit  port when the port is opened. It is connected to the solar panels that I use for battery charging. It uses diddly sqat of power and runs all daylight hours . I have used it now for 15years and it is very effective for the long suffering cook. Geoff

Sitesurfer

• First Mate
« Reply #5 on: January 03 2020, 20:09 »
I have mounted a computer fan on a rectangle of acrylic plastic the same shape as a rutgerson  opening port. This just slips into the galley/ cockpit  port when the port is opened. It is connected to the solar panels that I use for battery charging. It uses diddly sqat of power and runs all daylight hours . I have used it now for 15years and it is very effective for the long suffering cook. Geoff

Blowing in or out?

geoff

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: 40 ocean
« Reply #6 on: January 03 2020, 20:22 »
Generally blowing out , but if wanted just pop it in the other way round. Geoff

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
« Reply #7 on: January 24 2020, 18:59 »
Any success stories to share with regards to installing a solar extraction vent?  Or tips to increase ventilation?

Yes, I put one in (https://www.force4.co.uk/force-4-solarvent-300s.html) and it worked really well, keeping the inside musty-free. However, after a couple of years the seal around the solarpanel started leaking and destroyed the electrics so I wouldn't buy another without sealing it with an extra layer of goo. Recommended, with that caveat.

I like your idea, Geoff.
ATB

Mark