Author Topic: Power Outlets?  (Read 2151 times)

captpatrick211

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Vision 40
  • Boat Year: 2007
Power Outlets?
« on: December 28 2019, 21:09 »
Good day everyone... not sure if these are meant for inverters or anything else I can plug in.  I'm hoping they are something I can use to charge my ipad while sailing or under power. tried plugging in the inverter but it doesnt fit... The holes appear a little larger than the 12v version on my navsta.  Any thoughts?  Thanks!

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Power Outlets?
« Reply #1 on: December 28 2019, 22:52 »
The one on the right looks like an ordinary 12v cigar lighter socket. Not sure about the other. However if there is a 12v supply there you could replace that socket with a USB socket. There are plenty on the market of roughly that size with either one USB and one cigar lighter or 2 USBs. However the cockpit is not a good location for an ipad charger - much better to have it at the chart table - unless you want to use the ipad for navigation.

captpatrick211

• First Mate
« Reply #2 on: December 30 2019, 13:57 »
Thank you...  still no power to either of these that I can find so that deepens the mystery a bit.  I do like using the ipad for navigation when possible.  Thanks again!

elias

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #3 on: December 30 2019, 15:01 »
As a Symphony said cockpit isn’t the best spot to have plugs , you can find a battery pack , charge it and have it as a source . As about the plugs , dive in your hull and explore... many things to find !

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #4 on: December 30 2019, 20:15 »
Thank you...  still no power to either of these that I can find so that deepens the mystery a bit.  I do like using the ipad for navigation when possible.  Thanks again!

Have you taken the fitting out to see if it has any wired attached to it? 12v sockets are commonly fitted to binnacles - both my Bavarias have had them fitted at the factory. sometimes they are just a spur off the compass light.

captpatrick211

• First Mate
« Reply #5 on: January 02 2020, 18:09 »
Thanks everyone - I like the battery pack idea.  Tried everything I could think of yesterday outside of hull exploring and no luck in getting power identified.  So, looks like I'll practice some yoga moves today and see what's up!

Keweetoo

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 35E
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #6 on: January 07 2020, 14:45 »
I fitted one of the Scanstrut waterproof USB chargers to the helm to power my iPad. It fitted into the hole through the binnacle left by a previous 'cigar lighter' type power socket. Just connect to 12v fused supply. The advantage of these units is the lid closes around the outlet and wires to make a waterproof enclosure even in the wet.

https://scanstrut.com/products-22/waterproof-dual-usb-charge-socket/sc-usb-02-new-rokk-charge-waterproof-usb-socket-detail

Keweetoo