Author Topic: B32 2003 seriously considering  (Read 3857 times)

Sailcs33

• Swab
  • Boat Model: TBD
B32 2003 seriously considering
« on: October 16 2019, 00:22 »
I just looked at a 2003 bavaria 32ft and we are planning on making an offer. During the initial boat viewing few concerns came up. Behind the quarter berth in the compartment by the transom I noticed some water was standing. The owner was not available to ask that question and I'm curious if that could be something as a known issue. I also noticed in the same quarter berth, the bulkhead had some water damage and water stains. There is also water standing under the engine small bilge.

While I am very comfortable with a yanmar diesel engines and most gas engines but I know nothing about Volvos.. is there anything I should watch out for and make sure to check.
The bilge is dry and besides said water damage on the bulkhead in the aft cabin, near the transom, I didn't seem to find concerns of the boat leaking anywhere else. Are there any areas of concern for that model and year?

Does anyone know if the hull is solid glass or cored?

The boat will need new sails, new running rigging, new electronics and dodger with bimini. I already know this...

Also, I noticed that all three batteries, two large house batteries and the smaller starting battery are all on the starboard side which makes the boat list to starboard? Is that because water tank supposed to offset the weight?

All in all I would greatly appreciate any feedback or heads up to make sure I check before getting it.

Thanks a lot

Bav32

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2004
Re: B32 2003 seriously considering
« Reply #1 on: October 16 2019, 06:07 »
Hi Sailcs33,
I have a 2004 Bavaria 32. I have the starter battery on the starboard side and two other batteries on the other side and my boat is not leaning in any direction.

About the water. It is probably entering from the skrews that holds the metal-thing that leads the ropes from the cleat. Really easy to fix. Take a look at this guys youtube videos, almost every issue he encounters are valid for my boat: https://youtu.be/3IOFL7oioQY

If the boat you are looking at is in good shape and the price is right, I would say go for it. It is a nice boat, though it is not the fastest boat you will find.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: October 16 2019, 09:25 »
The water ingress is probably from deck fittings, most of which will need resealing if they've never been done, as by now the original sealant is going or gone.

You didn't say which engine model, but the most common cause for water under the engine is the seals on the raw water pump, which are a wear item and need replacing (fairly undramatic). Check the date stamp on the saildrive diaphragm (embossed on the black rubber ring around the saildrive inside the engine compartment). Volvo suggests replacing it every 7 years and your insurance may pick that up as a requirement.

The hull is solid below the waterline, foam cored above.

Inspect the rudder/steering for ease of turning and any play in the rudder bearings, as worn or seized rudder bearings are a problem area.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: October 16 2019, 09:58 »
The engine is a Volvo MD 2020 and is pretty bullet proof. One common weaknesses is the sea water pump which is difficult to remove if the seals need replacing. Check for any signs of leakage - usual evidence is salt water drips and corrosion around the water pump. Another, and common to many small diesels, is build up of deposits in the exhaust mixing elbow. Less of a problem if the engine has been worked hard, but if it has low engine hours each year worth removing the exhaust hose and checking it is clear. Straightforward to replace, probably with a stainless steel one. Check the saildrive oil for signs of water (milky rather than clear) which might indicate failure of the seals in the lower unit. Not difficult to replace - plenty of you tubes showing how to do it.

Your intended replacement items add up to maybe £7-8000 on a boat that in good condition is worth around £30000. Good choice of boat, though. one of Bavaria's best.