Author Topic: Hull Anode  (Read 2677 times)

HappyAfloat

• First Mate
    • www.happyafloat.com
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
Hull Anode
« on: December 26 2019, 13:24 »
Hello,

A previous owner had fitted a hull anode above the prop. 

This anode is currently not connected to anything, there was an unattached wire on one of the anode studs that has been removed. 

My question is should I plan on connecting this anode to something? Saildrive? Or should I think about removing the anode and filling the holes in the hull?

Thank you

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Hull Anode
« Reply #1 on: December 26 2019, 17:45 »
The anode is doing nothing - nor is there any real need for it. Some people have connected a second anode to the saildrive housing, but in most cases it is unnecessary as the standard anode gives sufficient protection.

Suggest you remove it and fill the holes. Easiest way would be to replace the mounting screws (which I think are M8) with A4 pan head machine screws well bedded in sealant.

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #2 on: December 27 2019, 16:24 »

This anode is currently not connected to anything, there was an unattached wire on one of the anode studs that has been removed. 

I'd be tempted to trace the wire and see where it goes.  It could be that the anode is part of the grounding system, which is a safety feature.  No point connecting it to the saildrive, as that should be electrically isolated.

HappyAfloat

• First Mate
    • www.happyafloat.com
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #3 on: December 27 2019, 21:52 »

I'd be tempted to trace the wire and see where it goes. 

The wire was about a metre long and one end was on the anode stud the other end was not connected at all.  I suspect that it was originally attached to the saildrive and was disconnected when the saildrive was replaced by the previous owner.

I like Symphony's trick with the A4 pan heads, another job to add to the list on haul out.

Hotzenplotz

• Cadet
« Reply #4 on: December 30 2019, 19:21 »
hi,
On my b36 built 2011 i have the anode too and it seems to be mounted originally by Bavaria. The other side of the wire is connected to one of the keel bolts.
Best regards and all the best wishes for 2020
Jens