Author Topic: Stanchions (again)..  (Read 1525 times)

Kala

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Stanchions (again)..
« on: December 22 2019, 22:49 »
Hi all..

The “Fabian” storm has broke me a stanchion.. (past year another storm broke me 3..).. Now I am trying to take out the broken stanchion from its base but it’s being impossible.. seems melted.. any advice?.. tried with boiling water and wd40 but nothing... and one more thing.. do you know a cheaper place than SVB to buy a new one?

Many thanks!

Salty

• Old Salt
Re: Stanchions (again)..
« Reply #1 on: December 23 2019, 03:20 »
Looks like you will need to remove both the broken stanchion and the attached cast aluminium base from your boat, to your workshop. There you can apply lots of heat to the base in order to break up the corrosion that seems to have resulted in one part gripping the other. Normally there is a piece of plastic inserted between the stainless steel stanchion and the aluminium base to prevent or reduce the problem of corrosion between the aluminium and the stainless steel stanchion, so any heat you apply will melt the plastic if it still remains. Don’t forget to replace the plastic when you reassemble with new parts.

Kala

• Second Mate
« Reply #2 on: December 23 2019, 11:04 »
Many thanks again Salty... “lots of heat” means to put the base into the fire?, could a heat gun be enough?..

Thanks!

Borealis

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bav. 41 Exclusive
  • Boat Year: 1998
« Reply #3 on: December 23 2019, 14:26 »
I took them of  using a tool that splitt the nut from underneath. Then I used a lot of heat and wd40. tried also some acid in the workshop, but I had to buy new ones. Out of 6 I managed to save 1 or 2. I still have 4 left and I reckon to buy new ones there also.
It was no plastic insert in the old ones, but the new ones has.
But if someone have a better way to get them of please let us know.

Kala

• Second Mate
« Reply #4 on: December 27 2019, 10:45 »
Done..

It was easy with a Heat Gun... Just wait for the pvc to begin to melt and then it was easy to take it by hand. Now I'll clean the plastic with a dremmel.