Author Topic: Furlex Foresail reefing information J&J Bavaria 32 2002  (Read 1918 times)

ICENI

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2002
Firstly I would like to say that I am most impressed by the site - everyone is most helpful.

I bought my new boat last August.

I live miles away from where my new boat is laid up.   I am spending the Winter months planning some refitting and would like to ask about foresail reefing on the above model Bav32.

My old boat had pulleys attached to the bottom of the stanchions and a cleat on the outside of the coamings to the side of the cockpit.   My Bavaria just seems to have the Furlex reefing gear and the line to operate the reefing but nothing else!

Could anyone advise me the normal way thie gear is run please?   Is one of the deck mounted Rutgerson cleats used or is there some other way?

I am asking this because I intend sailing the boat next May/June from Cornwall to my mooring on the East Coast.   Reefing in strong winds in my old boat I found difficult to say the least and I want to rig the boat the very best way.

Can anyone advise me please?

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Furlex Foresail reefing information J&J Bavaria 32 2002
« Reply #1 on: December 11 2019, 17:19 »
The furling line is normally routed along the bottom of the stanchions on one side all the way aft to the cockpit and to a jammer there (rope clutch on bigger boats).

You can look up your boat model on Yachtworld and find pictures of the setup, like this one:

Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: December 11 2019, 18:58 »
The furling line runs through the channels underneath the stanchion blocks on the port side if they are of the cast type, then to a cleat on the outside of the cockpit coaming. Although this does lead to some friction it is generally satisfactory. However it is well worthwhile considering adding lead blocks on the stanchions. There are several different types on the market from firms like Barton, Spinlock, Selden, Harken and no doubt others. I found the Harken set up the best for my 2015 33 mainly because they have a neat jamming ratchet block that can be mounted on a stanchion or pushpit leg. Very useful for me because the standard jamming block is mounted low down and well forward on the sidedeck. Inevitably like most Harken gear it is not cheap but works very well.

ICENI

• Able Seaman
« Reply #3 on: December 14 2019, 15:45 »
Thanks Yngmar,

As I think I said in my pst, on my old boat I had the Seldon pulleys mounted low down on the stanchions.   This boat has nothing so I assume it was rigged as you stated.

Chris.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #4 on: December 14 2019, 16:14 »
Suggest you run the line through the channels for your delivery trip then decide whether you want to add lead blocks. The boat has done getting on for 20 years without them. Some say these channels are a masterpiece in good functional design others say it is a sign of cheapskate building!

Fenders

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #5 on: December 15 2019, 09:07 »
On our B32, 2004, the furling line was led aft through the underside of the stanchions to a jammer by the aft port winch. We found that this caused a lot of friction and affected the loading on the furling system. We decided to install blocks on the stanchions and that has made a great improvement in the operation of the furler. The operation of it now is so silky smooth and free running. This was made even better when we stripped done the furler and greased the bearings, which probably had never been done before.
Well worth the expense.

Fenders

ICENI

• Able Seaman
« Reply #6 on: December 17 2019, 12:02 »
Many thanks to you all.

A bit of a nuisance the new boat currently being nearly three hundred miles from my home so I am having to spend the Winter planning.   It will be better onceb she is on my mooring on the East Coast I retained the twelve years I was sailing in Greece.

I have found this site very informative and a lot of helpful guys out there!