Author Topic: Anchor chain plate removal and modification  (Read 2700 times)

elias

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2003
Anchor chain plate removal and modification
« on: December 10 2019, 15:20 »
Hi to all !
I m trying to remove the anchor chain plate to aligned better and install a second chain channel at the port side . I removed to 3 “blind “ screws but it doesn’t moves a lot . Should I undo the forestay plate too so it can slip forward or is maybe glued ?

Bavaria 34

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Anchor chain plate removal and modification
« Reply #1 on: December 10 2019, 16:23 »
Hi Elias, I have recently had mine taken off by my yard to repair some damage caused by an anchored boat drifting down onto me. Him steel ... big dent. Me grp ... some stress cracks.

I have contacted them to ask how they removed the plate, I'm sure they didn't have to touch the forestay.

I'll get back to you with the answer. (I have a suggestion but I think I'll keep it to myself  :) )

elias

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: December 10 2019, 18:12 »
That would be fantastic ! Thanks a lot !

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #3 on: December 10 2019, 22:44 »
I took off my bow roller and the plate it is attached to some years ago, and I’m fairly sure it was necessary to slacken off the forestay attachment plate to allow the bow roller to move slightly forward for clearance and then it came off easily. It definitely was not glued on.

Bavaria 34

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #4 on: December 11 2019, 11:16 »
Agree with Salty, there is no need to glue this plate on.

My idea was to slacken off the bolts and (if you’re bow in on a pontoon or ashore) just get a piece of wood, place it under the actual roller and tap it until you break whatever the seal is. It’s quite possible that Bavaria put some bedding compound down to avoid stainless steel under pressure sitting directly on grp.

Anyway here is the yards reply “ The unit is not connected to the forestay plate but will be tight to it.

If you can put the nuts on the blind bolts and tap them up, then with the side of a halyard on a winch should gently release.”  I think he means aid not side

elias

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: December 11 2019, 21:30 »
I spend 2 hours with no luck... it was glued with sikaflex but the reason of not getting out is the plate on the bow that the forestay is mounted. The plate is blended aft so the plate is imprisoned .The right way to do it seems to be to take out  the forestay plate .... but I won’t do it cause is annoying to do such a procedure for something that is supposed to be simple! I will use an angle grinder to cut around 3 mm of the anchor plate. Has anybody tried something similar ? Bavaria 44 , 2003-04

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
« Reply #6 on: December 12 2019, 03:38 »
My boat is a 2002/3 Bavaria 36, and the bow roller and plate it is welded to was definitely not glued on. The three bolts used are more than capable of holding it in place. If yours is glued on, then that has to be something done by a previous owner, and you may well wonder why. If you have the name and address of that previous owner it may be worth while trying to contact them to enquire what kind of glue was used and hopefully why, because if glue was used, then grinding off a few millimetres of steel from around the perimeter will not release any glue that may be between the plate and your glass fibre deck. Sikaflex, if that is what has been used, is a sealant rather than a glue, and will release the plate if some persuasion is used by way of a lever, but you would need to protect your deck from damage under the fulcrum used by the lever. Be aware also that the perimeter of that steel plate, if I remember correctly, does curve slightly under the edge of the deck, and hence the need to be able to release the forestay attachment to allow the plate to be moved forward to clear the edge of the deck.
Have you checked the under side of the deck to ensure there are no other securings that may have been fitted by a previous owner?
Using an angle grinder to remove parts of the steel has to be a very last resort, as much as anything it will create a lot of heat, and glass fibre does not need much encouragement to catch fire and burn very vigourously !!

elias

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: December 15 2019, 18:36 »
UPDATE

True it was just the bolts. I didnt loose the forestay deck plate (located on the bow) . I made a |_| shape cut at the plate and went out easy. I ll come back with the modifications i made.
1. Properly alignmend with the windlass
2. second channel and roller for 2nd anchor

p_schurli

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: 40
« Reply #8 on: December 16 2019, 19:11 »
UPDATE

True it was just the bolts. I didnt loose the forestay deck plate (located on the bow) . I made a |_| shape cut at the plate and went out easy. I ll come back with the modifications i made.
1. Properly alignmend with the windlass
2. second channel and roller for 2nd anchor

A second bow roller would be fine ...
How did you cut into the plate? The material is hard and the space is limited. I see no possibility for an angle grinder
Bavaria 40 <Novara>

elias

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: December 16 2019, 19:15 »
Since the vertical side of the channel would be cutted to be aligned I removed it first , then angle grinder

elias

• Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: December 22 2019, 08:08 »
Update
We are almost there , as you can see the factory alignment wasn't so proper , you can see on the left hand image that the inox channel with the chain have different angle and the chain has rubbed to the deck and the wood. So we cut the old channel changed the angle and put a second one just in case of second anchor drop