Author Topic: Video Series: Basic boat electrical work  (Read 2436 times)

Impavidus

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria C 37
  • Boat Year: 2015
Video Series: Basic boat electrical work
« on: December 08 2019, 20:37 »
Fellow Bavaria owners.

Well, as some of you may know we are at the end of our second season of our great escape from the rat race. We have a Farr designed 2015 Bavaria Cruiser 37. It has been quite heavily modified. From the solar arch, the additional stainless steel keel stiffening plates, or even the additional USB sockets and 12v outlets. We even have removable davits on the drop tailgate or transom/stern platform. Loads more of mods that we have fitted as we set off around the world, Slowly!

Now here is the thing. As we have traveled in the last two years we have meet loads of Bavaria owners (and other boat owners) that are being mislead, missguided or just plain extorted when it comes to boat maintenance. Upkeep, what's needed or what needs to be sorted.

The biggest area for this seems to be boat electrical work. The folks we have spoken to that have been fleeced or just plain ripped off for simple issues that could be sorted by themselves with just some basic knowledge is unbelievable.   

So;We wanted to give something back. (As a Chartered Engineer and having a degree in electrical installation, OND & HNC) and having lectured at the universities of Bath and Reading as well as the Science museum to both the younger and older members of our society. We took the opportunity to use our YouTube channel to help out fellow sailors Bavaria owners and others alike.   

We wanted to get the videos established and a following, to establish interest and the interest to go on.
We now have that and the comments and feedback have been outstanding.

This is not a post about self promotion!

Despite the impressive numbers we have, in total made £155.00 from YouTube and we have never claimed the revenue. It Is about sharing our knowledge, helping folks upskill to a point they can find issues and repair them. Not getting ripped off and being able to understand how stuff works.

"Boat electrical made easy"

This series of videos have been directly aimed at folks that worry or have little or no understanding of electrical systems, not those that understand electron flow or star delta motors!

Plain simple language that builds from video 1 onwards.

We think these videos will benefit many of the BYI folks and hopefully give them something that will last a lifetime.

What's the cost?   

Absolutely nothing!

The only thing we ask is that you pass on the knowledge you gain, FOC.
That when you help someone else out with the knowledge you have gained you do so without charge or encumbrance and when they pass the knowledge on they do the same.

It is called "pass it on philosophy".

You can find the link to the series so far below.

Sail safe. Ant, Cid & the Pooch crew. SV Impavidus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFq2A0hAsLc&list=PLkN4U78ub8vUi1Q2sqE0dl9vao-Y72GoJ

Visit our YouTube channel here:  https://www.youtube.com/c/SVImpavidusAntCidSailing

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Video Series: Basic boat electrical work
« Reply #1 on: December 09 2019, 10:10 »
Well done Yngmar, it's what the site does well, and its good to get help and education. Unfortunately we will collect the die hards on the way hopefully people can see through them.
Cables, contacts, and salt water will catch all of us out  at some point,  keep up the good work, pitty we did not meet up, however I am now back in the Biscay area.
Odysseus
Bav 38

Odysseus

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: December 09 2019, 10:56 »
It's all Ant, not me  :kewl

Have only peeked in some of the videos, but looks like a lot of hard work went into this 👍
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #3 on: December 09 2019, 12:58 »
Sorry Impavidus, my fault,

Must try harder.

Odysseus
Odysseus

heywoodp

• Second Mate
  • Bavaria 38 Ocean 2000
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Ocean 38
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #4 on: December 10 2019, 21:04 »
Hi Ant, fantastic videos and a great asset to the group. Theres a couple of mistakes here and there, such as 7.2 ohms instead of .72. I'll forward them on to you

Impavidus

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: December 11 2019, 10:39 »
Hi Ant, fantastic videos and a great asset to the group. Theres a couple of mistakes here and there, such as 7.2 ohms instead of .72. I'll forward them on to you

Yes it was a typo. We would have to remove the video, edit it and re issue it. But that would put it out of sequence. I think we put something in the notes or  comments.

It seems to be quite popular and we are getting requests and PM's to do other stuff too. I have the next video just about ready now but I am waiting until the free wifi is working properly to upload it.

We do two types of video the general interest stuff and the journey/places. Then there is is the tips and tricks sharing. It keeps us out the bars :-)

If anyone is interested; if your thinking of doing similar to make an income while sailing "it is really not worth it". It takes about 40 Gb of 4k footage to make a 15 minute film edited down to about 1.5 - 2.0 GB of video. It takes about 8 hours to edit and render. Then sometimes 2 hours to upload if the wifi is half decent.

Last time I looked at the stats we had 2100 subscribers and 140k views with 1.6k watch time hours. That has earned us £168.00 in total. If we claim the revenue we will have to register as a small business in the UK and pay NI and Tax.

So its a labour of love and certainly not a payer unless your hitting some really big numbers ;D

Sail safe folks. Ant.   
Visit our YouTube channel here:  https://www.youtube.com/c/SVImpavidusAntCidSailing

nightowle

• Able Seaman
  • S/V In Deep - 1999 Bavaria 35E
  • Boat Model: 35 Exclusive
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #6 on: December 12 2019, 05:57 »
Ant,

I've watched up to edition 5A and it's been a big help.  Thanks much.
S/V In Deep - 1999 Bavaria 35E
Seattle, WA USA

Bavaria 34

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #7 on: December 12 2019, 11:35 »
I've subscribed and started watching but I picked you up leaving Portsmouth.

Have I missed what your actual plans are and did I see "somewhere" that you had modded the keel?

Possibly all comes later but I did initially just look at some random ones.

I've read about the hours spent vs. end result ... you really have to hit a sweet spot. I've been watching a guy doing a total rebuild on a HR (Wanda) and I find it fascinating but he's never going to get rich from YT  :(

Impavidus

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: December 28 2019, 17:39 »
Bavaria 34.

We sailed down to the Med and wintered in Almerimar Spain. This year we sailed the coast of Spain, the Balearics, back to Barcelona and then along the south French coast. From there, we moved down the west coast of Italy via the Italian islands. We are currently wintering in Gaeta south of Rome.

As for YT it is totally messed up since they changed the payment policy about two and a half years ago. Our best hit video has about 30,000 hits. We have 13,100 watch hours and over 2100 subscribers. So far to date we have made £161.00 before tax!!!!! So we are not gona get rich from it!

We have modified the keel structure with 12mm stainless steel plates that come up from the forward and aft keel bolts to the boats sub-frame, through bolted with M24 bolts 200mm long. Both the fore and aft keel bolts have been removed and replaced with a higher spec stainless material. We have also replaced the door seals to the cabin doors so they are watertight when closed.
We have fitted 160Kg removable davits, extra bilge pumps and alarms, extra chain, a proper anchor and loads of other bits and bobs.

Most of these are in the videos. But there are so many changes and additions we really need to do another boat tour. Just yesterday we fitted a higain ariel and new router so we can pick up WiFi signal from far away... Its working, we are currently running from free WiFi half a mile away and able to watch Netflix! 
Sail Safe. Ant     SV Impavidus.