Author Topic: Gas Struts saloon lockers and companionway steps Bavaria 32  (Read 1707 times)

ICENI

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2002
I am considering replacing the companionway steps fixed strut with a gas one.   Also I would like to add struts to the two saloon seats to give me easier access to the storage space beneath.   (Bavaria 32 J & J design 2002)

Has anyone done this and can they please give me advise on th (N rating) of the struts I would require?

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46
  • Boat Year: 2005
Re: Gas Struts saloon lockers and companionway steps Bavaria 32
« Reply #1 on: December 04 2019, 09:17 »
I added Gas struts in my saloon seating.
To find the right struts i used an Internet Tool like this https://www.gasspringsshop.co.uk/gas-spring-calculator/

For finding the correct weight of the moving  part of the  seating i used a spring scale (used for weighing suitcases).
I calculated the struts to hold the seat up in upper Position and leave the seat closed when in down position. So there is a little help when  opening the seat and enough force to hold it open.
It showed that the struts will open the seat itself, when the boat is heeling, so it is neccesary to keep the locks closed when sailing. Maybe it's better to reduce the opening force in closed position. Hope this will help!     

ICENI

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Gas Struts saloon lockers and companionway steps Bavaria 32
« Reply #2 on: December 04 2019, 13:48 »
Many thanks SYjet SV.

Chris.