Author Topic: Bavaria 40 Backstay tightener  (Read 3023 times)

MagicalArmchair

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria
  • Boat Year: 2002
Bavaria 40 Backstay tightener
« on: October 30 2019, 15:59 »
So the yard when they lifted my new (to me!) Bavaria 40, Mirage, took the backstay off to lift her and put it back on back to front!

I have since put it the right way up, however, it doesn't now look quite right. See the below, does it look right?

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: Bavaria 40 Backstay tightener
« Reply #1 on: October 30 2019, 16:28 »
You should have the rope emerging from the centre of the lower block.  See this Harken diagram for clarification.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
« Reply #2 on: October 30 2019, 17:15 »
The secret is to have the two blocks at 90 degrees to each other and as mentioned above with the lead coming out from the middle sheave in the bottom block as per T79s Harken diagram. With the blocks at 90 degrees to each other the leads for the rope become clearer with nothing crossing over.

MagicalArmchair

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: October 30 2019, 17:51 »
Ha, I knew it was wrong. Thank you, I'll take it apart again!

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: October 31 2019, 05:02 »
Me too after I took mine apart during last winter lay up. Often helps to have a wander around the boatyard to find another Bavaria or similarly rigged boat and take a good long look at it !!

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #5 on: October 31 2019, 07:45 »
Works wonders for re-assembly if you take photos of any installation/fitting before (and during) dismantling. I also keep a folder of 'boat stuff' on my PC - has been most useful  ::) ;)
My biggest puzzle is the re-routing of my 3 reefing sheets through the mainsail and boom each new season :o

MagicalArmchair

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: November 27 2019, 13:04 »
After another set of attempts, I haven't improved matters!  ::)

:-\

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #7 on: November 27 2019, 16:08 »
google Reeving a 6:1 Purchase and you will get an article with an illustrated step by step set of instructions which I find easier to follow. Actually it is not so critical on your backstay as the crossing lines only become an issue when you want the tail free running as in letting fly a mainsheet.

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: November 27 2019, 21:02 »
I’ll try and remember to take some photos of my rig along with a written explanation and post them during or after the weekend.

MagicalArmchair

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: December 02 2019, 09:17 »
Thank you both. I am back to the boat after Christmas now, so I'll have another stab then.

Bavaria 34

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #10 on: December 02 2019, 09:57 »
I knew that I would have the same problem when I replaced the rope and clutch so drew this.

0 is the mounting point on the lower block heading up to 6. I've numbered them from left to right on both blocks so you get 1 2 and 3 at the bottom and 4 5 6 at the top.

As said and illustrated above the rope drops down from the two middle blocks (5 & 2) and then the rope goes from 2 into J the jammer.

The order is 0 up to 6 down to 1 up to 4 down to 3 up to 5 down to 2 up to jammer.

I STILL had problems as from memory the blocks kept twisting ad I was standing on the bathing platform with seemingly miles of rope that I was stepping on and the back stay block kept (obviously) trying to swing away from me so I was clinging onto that and at the time I couldn't remember if the rope went through the back or the front of the now twisted block ..... :-\

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: December 02 2019, 17:59 »
Hi MagicalArmchair, herewith the promised photo attached below and my explanation as follows.

In this instance I have brought the back stay and the tackle blocks inboard to the cockpit where I could reduce the distance between the upper and lower block so that both can be seen in the one photo.
The loose rope at deck level is the part that will be lead through the rope jammer.
From the rope clutch, the rope passes under the middle sheave of the bottom block and is lead to the right side of the furthest sheave in the top block. Passing over the sheave the rope leads down to the right side of the furthest sheave in the lower block. Passing under that sheave the rope now leads up to the left side and over the nearest sheave in the top block. Next the rope leads down to the left side of the nearest sheave in the bottom block. From there it passes to the right side of the middle sheave in the top block. Going over that sheave the rope now leads down to the becket on the top of the bottom block where the rope is then tied off.
I suggest you get someone to help you when you start reeving the rope so that they can hold both blocks essentially at right angles to each other and who can also read this instruction to you as you feed the rope through each sheave.
All the best.

MagicalArmchair

• Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: June 10 2020, 15:49 »
Well, thank you all, that was a mission. After many, many attempts, I think I have cracked it. I tried following your good advice Bavaria 34, however, after ending up in a right old pickle, I visited here:

https://www.harken.com/article.aspx?id=42513

Nearly lost my phone and iPad off the transom, and then got to the below. The issue with the above is it misses the last step where the rope travels to the lower block before ascending to the jammer.

I'm not certain if its correct, but no lines cross over each other, so there is no added friction.