Author Topic: New B&G VHF 60 incl Ais transponder (issues?)  (Read 1479 times)

Ronald

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Vision 42
  • Boat Year: 2018
New B&G VHF 60 incl Ais transponder (issues?)
« on: June 08 2020, 13:32 »
Dear all  ( a bit desperate what to do.)
I have recently purchased a VHF 60 with integrated Ais. 
I have the following issue is that after 2 hours of use the Ais stops.

I contacted B&G helpdesk and they told me it is a know problem which they promised would be resolved by a new update end May. We are now in the second week of June and no new software update is released..

I am concerned about how this is managed as I tried to contact them several times to check when the update would come and is never get a clear answer. 
My question is, are there other users of this device and are they are experiencing problems with this device as well?
or Does someone of this forum has a connection with B&G which they could check progress?

My holiday,s are planned Friday this week and I hate to leave without a proper working device certainly given the very busy waters around the port of Rotterdam.

I do not want to start bashing them I just want my problem resolved .
I know I have warranty but if it is matter of a software update then I would like to avoid a return as this will not be resolved within one week..

Ronald

semaphore

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Ocean 38
  • Boat Year: 2000
Re: New B&G VHF 60 incl Ais transponder (issues?)
« Reply #1 on: June 08 2020, 19:10 »
Can you turn it off and on again every two hours?

If it's that defective, I might consider attempting to return it and purchase a different model.

Ronald

• First Mate
« Reply #2 on: June 08 2020, 20:46 »
Switching off and on solves the problem for about another 2 hours.

Exchange is not something I like to do , it a new boat and it is build in the woodwork.

It is not a standard size unfortunately.

Ronald.

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #3 on: June 08 2020, 20:48 »
Reject it, get a refund, buy a VHF and a separate AIS transceiver.  If you're worried about the hole in the woodwork, buy a straight (non-transceiver) V60 which will fit the same hole.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #4 on: June 09 2020, 17:24 »
Return it for a full refund, as it is clearly not doing the advertised job. Lousy equipment and bad customer service deserve no money, only public shaming. Delayed promises of firmware updates are not nearly good enough, especially at the high asking prices for this kind of equipment. Putting up with this sort of behaviour from vendors only encourages more of it!

Then buy something that works from another vendor.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Ronald

• First Mate
« Reply #5 on: June 10 2020, 17:16 »
Update,
In the mean while I managed to find a number which was posted in a message on Facebook 😳 called the number and connected to a UK service guy, explained the problem got connected to Dutch service.
The Dutch guy was Beta testing  the update and decided to give me the beta software update, which according to him solves the problem.

Looking forward to put the update in place and keep fingers crossed it resolves the issue.

Ronald.