Author Topic: Central Heating ideas for Bavaria 44  (Read 7537 times)

elias

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2003
Re: Central Heating ideas for Bavaria 44
« Reply #25 on: October 08 2019, 14:49 »
Another idea ...
Instead of drilling the tank for diesel supply , can I just use a T fitting of the diesel return of the engine ? What are those 2 white hoses connected together with a pipe in the second picture ?

Rampage

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #26 on: October 08 2019, 17:22 »
One of the pipes is the supply to the engine, the other is the return pipe, which brings the excess fuel from the injectors back to the tank.  You can’t tap into the return pipe, as it will not go far enough down into the tank.  I wouldn’t tap into the fuel supply as there’s a good chance of exhausting the fuel in the tank, meaning you couldn’t run the engine.  Best solution is to put a separate off take into the tank for the heater, making sure it doesn’t go all the way to the bottom of the tank, as Yngmar as already said.

elias

• Old Salt
« Reply #27 on: October 09 2019, 14:31 »
A techinician told me that those 2 white hoses that are connected are just waiting there to supply fuel to the generator or heater. So I skipped drilling my tank....

But I am very concerned where to put the vent of the heater, does anybody installed a heater on BV44 or 46 that they are similar?

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #28 on: October 09 2019, 20:59 »
On a boat that size, you normally don't have just one outlet, you have ducting branching to every cabin (or every cabin you wish to heat at least). Else you only end up with one warm cabin and have to keep the cabin door open to inefficiently heat the others by indirect ventilation.

Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

elias

• Old Salt
« Reply #29 on: December 15 2019, 18:47 »
UPDATE

I finally installed it.
1. the harness was quite short , so i made it longer with merging new wires.
2. the relay fuse on the panel was dropping on the start (ignition). It seems that it draws way more than 15 Amps , adding that i used inappropriate cross section cables ( 6 meter , 2.5mm^2 cross section) for trying it to cross through the control panel. Finally i stayed short , with negative on the engine and positive 4mm^2.
3. A smell of heated kind of glue at the first hour ( i used red gasket sealant at the exit on the through hull exhaust but i dont believe is that hot to create smell)
4. I didnt used the silencer ( i m having it welded to be airtight) but it is rather quiet

elias

• Old Salt
« Reply #30 on: December 22 2019, 07:58 »
UPDATE
 for all those who wrapped the exhaust with the fiber heat resistant tape ( i thing is glass). It will create smoke and smell the first times of use. It is cause "are made with binders which are specially formulated starches that give the wrap’s fibers some structure and lubrication during the weaving process. Once the manufacturing process is done, however, the job of the binders is complete. Resultantly, when the high temp exhaust tape becomes exposed to heat, the binders tend to burn off and cause exhaust wrap smoking"