Author Topic: Auxiliar size for Bavaria 36  (Read 2358 times)

Kala

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Auxiliar size for Bavaria 36
« on: October 08 2019, 06:53 »
Hi again.. this is a poll..

I am about to have to retire my old zodiac cadet 230 and I am very tempted to buy a 250 with fiber floor... Do you think is too big? which aux/size/engine do you have for your 36s??

Rampage

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2000
Re: Auxiliar size for Bavaria 36
« Reply #1 on: October 08 2019, 17:26 »
More a case of how many people you want to move in the dinghy and how fast you want to go.....

We’ve got a XM260 and a 2.5 hp outboard which does fine with two people most of the time, occasionally 4.  We tow it most of the time but put it on the coach house roof when doing longer trips. 

Clivert

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: October 08 2019, 17:38 »
We've had 230 on our 2001 34 for some years for two reasons.
It's not too heavy and it fits into the starboard cockpit locker.
With  2.5 outboard the whole package is very manageable.
It'll carry three people ok and once in calm water four with a risk of wet bums !!

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #3 on: October 08 2019, 19:50 »

I am about to have to retire my old zodiac cadet 230 and I am very tempted to buy a 250 with fiber floor... Do you think is too big? which aux/size/engine do you have for your 36s??

They're big to stow!  And I can't see any great advantage over a Cadet Aero.  For my Cruiser 37, I have a Cadet Aero 230 and a Torqeedo outboard.  The tender stows easily in the cockpit locker, together with the outboard.

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #4 on: October 09 2019, 09:58 »
I have put this up before.

I put my 3 mt dinghy Suzumar under the fore cabin bunk that I converted to take such a volume.

Goes through hatch on my spinaker halyard no problem.

Odysseus
Bav 38
Odysseus

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #5 on: October 09 2019, 12:23 »
While it is interesting to know what other people have as their tender, it is more important to ask the reasons for their choice. Think about how you are going to use it - frequency, number of people, speed, distance etc. For example if it is infrequent use then the smallest most basic one may be adequate. increased size means greater weight, bulk and cost which brings up handling issues - lifting on the boat, storage etc.

On my old 37 I had a 2.4m which was OK for 3 people and we usually lifted it with the spinnaker halyard onto the foredeck where it just fitted. No space for stowage in a locker as on a 3 cabin boat the cockpit lockers are too small so I built a teak grid platform just in front of the hatch for stowage, deflated for longer passages. Most of our dinghy use was short runs ashore so did not bother with an outboard. On my current 33 I have a 3D 2.4m roundtail  as I only use it a few times a year and it deflates easily and stows in the locker. Easy to handle as it only weighs 14kgs.

Size around 2.4m is the most popular as it is the best compromise for most people, but clearly if you want to carry larger payloads longer distances then a larger dinghy is better, but more difficult to handle and stow. In a way the size of your boat is relatively unimportant as in the range 33 to say 38 the problems of handling and stowage are much the same. Above that size stowage on deck becomes easier or the possibility of fitting davits comes into play.

elias

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #6 on: October 09 2019, 14:27 »
I have put this up before.

I put my 3 mt dinghy Suzumar under the fore cabin bunk that I converted to take such a volume.

Goes through hatch on my spinaker halyard no problem.

Odysseus
Bav 38

What a great idea these drawers!

Clivert

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #7 on: October 09 2019, 15:50 »
 Ref no room in cockpit locker on a 3 cabin version.
Our 2001 34 is the three cabin on and the 2.3 goes in the starboard locker in it's bag with the rolled up inflatable floor.
It goes in with all of our ropes and lines and a bucket.
Port side has hoses and three different power leads and tools.
We do use our third cabin as a shed for cockpit cushions etc and fenders upright on the floor.
Friends refer to the boat as the " Tardis " as we have so much stowage space.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #8 on: October 09 2019, 16:06 »
Yes, while the lockers are big enough to actually take a deflated dinghy, as you say "stuff" that would normally go there has to go somewhere else. On our boat, the liferaft took up most of the space in one plus spare Gaz and a 20l spare fuel can which you would not want to store below, ropes, cables, hoses, kedge and chain in the other. Like you the third cabin was mostly storage but humping a dinghy down there is not something one would want to do on a regular basis.

As ever it is up to the individual to find a solution that works best for them. In my view the choice of tender should be driven by your intended pattern of use.