Author Topic: genoa track  (Read 6102 times)

stardust

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: 38
  • Boat Year: 2000
genoa track
« on: October 06 2011, 19:10 »
Help,!! Half the genoa track pulled out and broke off on my Bav38 in 20knts ,the bolts stripped, the rest of the bolts will not tighten. Does any one know what the bolts fit into. Its impossible to locate from inside the boat.           Stardust

Kerenza

Re: genoa track
« Reply #1 on: October 07 2011, 08:06 »
Check your wind instrument.bolts don't strip with that small a force.if this is genuine where were you yesterday afternoon?

stardust

• Second Mate
« Reply #2 on: October 07 2011, 16:13 »
The wind was certainly 20 knts or less this happened 25 miles west of Ibiza. The rest of the bolts in the stbd track will not tighten,oddly all the bolts in the port track are OK and tight .I just want to know if anyone knows what the bolts locate into. 

peter gibbs

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Ocean 38
  • Boat Year: 1998
« Reply #3 on: December 08 2011, 23:46 »
Help,!! Half the genoa track pulled out and broke off on my Bav38 in 20knts ,the bolts stripped, the rest of the bolts will not tighten. Does any one know what the bolts fit into. Its impossible to locate from inside the boat.           Stardust

Here's a true tale - when I revisited the European dealer who sold me my new Bav 38 Ocean he told me he was ditching the marque. Surprise. Why? Quality issues that were not being addressed by Bavaria (we speak of several years ago) so eroding the dealer's margin - well, nothing too out of the ordinary there, although not encouraging.

When I asked for an example he told me of genoa strips ripping out of the deck - inadequately bolted down. This has never happened to me but I remain on alert and keep a check on this vital piece of gear. And I pass this on to you - you might want to get Giebelstadt involved even if you are out of warranty.

In the name of balance, I also relate I spent a full day at the factory prior to taking delivery to check out processes etc, and was impressed. I continue to think Bav's are at least as well made (barring individual exceptions) as any other mass produced boat and I've done over 15000 miles in mine over 13 seasons.

PWG

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
« Reply #4 on: December 09 2011, 13:48 »
Its impossible to locate from inside the boat...

Impossible? Or just difficult? I'd have a look at the good side, and then look for the same on the other.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

stardust

• Second Mate
« Reply #5 on: December 27 2011, 15:41 »
Sorry to be a bit late with this but as I started this string I will update. A new Track was obtained from Sweden and fitted by drilling new holes intio the aluminium strip (gelled into the hull) which was then tapped and new bolts  fitted. The whole job cost 350 euros including checking the other side .
Thanks for all comments and advice