Author Topic: Attaching a self tailing end to anchor windlass  (Read 2001 times)

elias

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2003
Attaching a self tailing end to anchor windlass
« on: September 27 2019, 20:59 »
Hi!
I was wondering , on a lofrans tigress that it would be very convenient to put a self tailing “hat “ on the drum that is used for lines ? Has anybody tried it ?

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Attaching a self tailing end to anchor windlass
« Reply #1 on: September 28 2019, 04:15 »
Not yet, but I do agree that it would be most useful to have a self tailing end fitted to the drum. On my boat the windlass drum has been used on several occasions for hoisting someone to the masthead, and a self tailing device would provide a further element of safety for that operation.

About two years ago I looked at the various parts that Lofrans could provide, but at the time a self tailing end was not on their list of parts. If Lofrans could provide such a fitting, I’d be one of their first customers to buy one.

There is something known as a “wincher” that it might be possible to add on,  but I’ve never seen or used one to know if it would really do the job.

I note Elias, that you keep your boat in Greece. Many years ago on a ship at a repair yard in Scaramanga (sorry if I’ve got the spelling wrong), I remember there were several very capable machine shops located near to that yard. There one could take anything to them and they could manufacture a new part and modified as you wanted it, and do it almost while you waited. If that ship repair yard and those machine shops still exist then I’m sure they could help you to make such a fitting.

elias

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: September 28 2019, 05:43 »
Thanks Salty!
Yes is in Greece but in Ionian Sea . Skaramanga is famous for that but also here the local technicians have gathered a lot of experience through the massive charter industry in the area . I would try a solution like that but I try first a proven solution . A self tailing drum helps a lot , and also I ll make a second rail for a second anchor . Anyway thanks again .

elias

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: September 30 2019, 10:31 »
One more question ,can the gypsy pull rope ?

Spirit of Mary

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
« Reply #4 on: September 30 2019, 22:15 »
Some time ago my Lofrans Cayman kept pulling up the anchor despide the button was released. The relais was sticking! The Lofrans was stopped when the anchor was fully pulled up till the stop and the high amp fuse blew!! When this happens during hoisting somebody in the masthead!!!! He has a much better chance to survive when the winch is not self tailing and the windlass operator can release the tension on the loose end of the hoisting line.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #5 on: October 01 2019, 17:33 »
Some time ago my Lofrans Cayman kept pulling up the anchor despide the button was released. . . .

Mine did the same thing once, but rather than the windlass solenoid sticking, it seemed to be a problem with the hand controller. Since then I’ve changed the hand held remote control device for a very plain basic up/down hoist controller, and I’ve also replaced the up/down signal wires from the original ordinary copper wire to tinned copper, and have had no further repetition of the windlass running on after the button has been released. A further addition was an inexpensive (under £10 off eBay) radio control system which allows me to operate the windlass from anywhere onboard if I’m sailing single handed.

However, your point about the possibility of the machine continuing to run on is a valid concern, and there is always a first time when something can happen that was unexpected. For this reason a good test of the machine is always carried out prior to using it for hoisting someone, and in such a situation I personally would never leave the windlass to run unattended. Additionally if hoisting someone up the mast it is always worthwhile to stop a short distance before arrival at the working height and then take things a little at a time and always to use a second halyard as a safety line.

Spirit of Mary

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
« Reply #6 on: October 01 2019, 20:24 »
In my case it was really the relay. I cleaned and polished the contacts but the problem reappeared. And when the relay is sticking to switch off the windlass at the control panel doesn't help. Only the blow of the fuse stops the windlass. Finally I replaced the relay. No problems since.