Author Topic: Shower drain pipe replacement  (Read 2821 times)

Happy Sailor

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 33c
  • Boat Year: 2005
Shower drain pipe replacement
« on: September 18 2019, 18:09 »
Has anyone replaced the shower pipe from the sump drain to the pump filter in 2000-2006 model boats? The SS drain is held by three screws but the hole through the GRP seems to mirror the diameter of the hose Bavaria have used. Therefore either the hose is fitted to the drain without jubilee clips, or more likely it was fitted to the heads module before that was fitted into the hull!
Any advice welcome! Thanks in advance.

HappyAfloat

• First Mate
    • www.happyafloat.com
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
Re: Shower drain pipe replacement
« Reply #1 on: September 18 2019, 19:36 »
I tried and ran into the same problem. Ours definitely has jubilee clips so can not be replaced without enlarging the sump drain hole and then repairing.  In the end I decided this was a project for another day.....

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #2 on: September 19 2019, 15:07 »
Is the pipe leaking?

Happy Sailor

• Swab
« Reply #3 on: September 25 2019, 13:18 »
No but partially blocked.  Can get elec wire through but really need to replace pipe.

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #4 on: September 25 2019, 14:51 »
No but partially blocked.  Can get elec wire through but really need to replace pipe.

Have you tried drain cleaner chemicals?

Happy Sailor

• Swab
« Reply #6 on: September 26 2019, 11:57 »
Thanks everyone for the comments, guess it’s the drain cleaner chemicals first as pipe replacement looks like major surgery!

semaphore

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Ocean 38
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #7 on: September 27 2019, 03:14 »
My hoses aren't clogged, but they're very cloudy and sticky.
I'm guessing they're 20 years old now;

I just replaced the shower sump, I would imagine it's a good idea to replace them as well.
They still look sturdy, just disgusting.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #9 on: September 27 2019, 15:42 »
On my boat, B36(2002), the shower drain is fitted with a filter located under the wash basin between the shower drain and the pump. No one has suggested this, but have you checked that the filter is clean? 

The filter bowl unscrews from its base and contains a tubular wire mesh grid within. The mesh grid prevents all kinds of crud from getting into the pump, and if left untouched the filter would eventually choke off the flow of water until it was next cleaned out.

Happy Sailor

• Swab
« Reply #10 on: September 29 2019, 17:45 »
I have the same arrangement and when cruising we clean that filter once a week. The problem started when my pump output dropped, so it now it  takes for ever to empty the sump after a shower. Spoke to Jabasco (Xylem as they are now) and they suggested buying a service kit and replacing all the wearable parts. Unfortunately this hasn’t made any difference so hence I’m suspecting the pipe from the sump to that filter but as it now appears it was fitted before the heads module was dropped into the hull during build I’ll give the drain cleaner a try before anything else. Unless anyone else has had a similar pump issue? Many thanks.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #11 on: September 29 2019, 20:05 »
You could try a bottle cleaner brush poked back along the shower drain pipe towards the sump drain. Suggest you leave the sump drain cover off in the hope that whatever crud may have blocked the hose would be pushed back into the sump where you could manually collect the crud and suitably dispose of it. Using drain cleaner chemicals would then be the next step if the bottle brush tactic doesn’t work. Bottle brushes are available through eBay similar to the one depicted below, but you would need to make a guess as to which size of brush and particularly its length was most suitable.

patprice

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Swanson 36 and Bavaria 42
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #12 on: September 29 2019, 22:45 »
Our 2000 B42 has a pump in the aft heads, works OK but does not get the last bit of water off the floor. We use a sponge and if you are stingy with the amount of water used for a shower, a good sponge will get the water down the basin quickly without pumping.
The forward heads does not have a pump so a sponge is used.
Better still use the stern shower given privacy and warmth!